Moisture Fins? or filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner:
Now, if I could only COMBINE the Abyss performance with the Sherwood drybleed & moisture fins... I would have my perfect reg! :wink:

FYI: I still have the Sherwood as a backup.

JMHO,
The Maximus combines the breathing of Mares quality with Scherwood humidity.

my dive buddy and i sometimes notice drymouth when doing long dives. instead of adding a piece of equipment to our rig that could cause problems with our air supply, we used a camelback type device(plat pack) and filled it with water and strapped it to one of our pony tanks. we only take it when there is a long surface swim or when we think we might want it. when we get a drymouth we just pull the hose out of the case and swish some water in our mouths. has anyone else tried something like that?

rescuediver009:
The Maximus combines the breathing of Mares quality with Scherwood humidity.

Not to get into a difference of opinion, but Sherwoods, while very fine regs, are not as highly rated nor do they peform as well as the Abyss.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic, already in progress....

Well, I've been using the Apollo Bio Filter for some time, and I really like the thing. If I'm in a fresh water lake for 1 or 2 dives - not that big of a deal. But if on a live aboard and knocking out 4 or 5 dives a day - it makes my dives much more comfortable. We have some in our shop for people to rent to try... and when they do - they're normally hooked! It really does make a difference... but try one for yourself and make your own decision. Do not use for ice diving or other freeze situations though...

Several of the instructors and divemasters at my LDS use the Apollo filter and swear by it. Of course, they're doing a good deal of repetitive diving with students.

Has anyone ever tried the Apollo a-110 moisturizing regulator? (The filter is built-in.) Just curious.

MakoMermaid:
Several of the instructors and divemasters at my LDS use the Apollo filter and swear by it. Of course, they're doing a good deal of repetitive diving with students.

Has anyone ever tried the Apollo a-110 moisturizing regulator? (The filter is built-in.) Just curious.

I used to sell the Apollo reg... when they had a brass version. Now that they are all aluminum, I backed off from them. Maybe there is nothing wrong with them, but just I've never had good luck with aluminum regs.

scubatoys:
I used to sell the Apollo reg... when they had a brass version. Now that they are all aluminum, I backed off from them. Maybe there is nothing wrong with them, but just I've never had good luck with aluminum regs.

Thank you, I appreciate the input.

On a related note, does everyone think the all-metal regs live up to the claim that they help reduce dry mouth? For example, the Proton Ice advertises that it has humidifying properties... but I haven't tried one, so maybe it's all marketing hype. I've used a rental with metal inserts before and noticed a real difference, so I'd be interested in knowing if metal regs perform similarly. I haven't had the chance to try many regs myself, so I don't have much basis for comparison.

SubMariner:
Not to get into a difference of opinion, but Sherwoods, while very fine regs, are not as highly rated nor do they peform as well as the Abyss.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic, already in progress....
Like I said breathing not performance. The Mares is a good 'beyond recreational depth performer'. The maximus like other sherwoods is a rescreational reg. Note that it has zero breathing resistance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom