Moisture in my Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've got an Aqua Deluxe USIA Drysuit. I've dove with it about 5 times now and each time I've gotten a lot of moisture evenly dispersed throughout the exterior of my thermals. I know I don't have any leaky seals because the moisture is not concentrated in one area. At first I thought it was perspiration, but the t-shirt and boxers I was wearing under my thermals were completely dry.

Has anyone experienced this or know what the heck is going on?

Thanks in advance,

Billy

It's condensed sweat. How much depends upon how much you sweat and the water temps, but it tends to coalesce on the inside of the suit and the outer edges of your underwear. This is why you want to use hydrophobic underwear - it will wick the sweat away from your body.

Yes, all is normal. This is condensation from your suit cooling down underwater.
It also seems to me that your body heat can keep moisture in the air close to your body, but when that air hits the inside of your suit, the moisture condenses out. This could also explain the moisture being located on the outside of your undergarment.

Empty V:
Thank you both for the help, the question I have is how come my buddy, who was diving with a bare neoprene drysuit, didn't get this condensation? Is it something that varies diver to diver? Logically there seems to be no way around this, am I right?

Billy

Unlike membrane drysuits, neoprene ones actually can insulate on their own due to their foamed neoprene rubber construction.

This helps to keep the moisture in the suit warmer so there are fewer "cold spots" for the moisture to condense on.

Works on the same principle as those neoprene soda can coolers you've probably seen... the only place condensation really occurs is on the metal surfaces that aren't insulated.

koozieck500.jpg

Water and air conditioning pipes are also similarly insulated to prevent condensation:

pme-1.jpg

Thanks for the info, I was starting to get worried about my Mobbys suit. I had the same type of moisture conditions. I even noticed it more when I added a weezle extreme. I also thought the moisture was coming in from my neck and wrist seals (from dealing with students underwater), but the moisture wasn't concentrated there.

Dive 'N' Dolphin:
And here I thought my husband pee'ed in his dry suit and was just trying to make excuses :D
LOL, actually did a dive with a buddy in a wetsuit. He later told me he was cold until he pee'ed to his nipples then was ok. Sheesh, I love my drysuit :1poke:

Sawllkwa:
LOL, actually did a dive with a buddy in a wetsuit. He later told me he was cold until he pee'ed to his nipples then was ok. Sheesh, I love my drysuit :1poke:

How did you both fit? Was it a Hyperstretch?? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom