Mola mola in Italy? When? Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polpessa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
When and where to dive in Italy for the greatest likelihood of seeing a mola mola?

When and where to dive in Italy for the greatest likelihood of seeing a mola mola?

Well, it depends on how you measure the likelihood. It's not so easy to meet a Pesce Luna (the italian name for Mola Mola). As an example, I never met it. Perhaps I'm unlucky.

The best period is April-September, when they go to surface. As far as I know they can be seen in Mar Ligure (Genova, Portofino, Savona ...) or, more in general, in the norther part of the Mar Tirreno (including Tuscany, Isola d'Elba, Isola del Giglio ....).

But I think that's impossible to guarantee such a meeting.

Ciao.
A.

Thanks for the information, Boa Gialla, that was very helpful. I hope we both get to see one this summer!

Hey BG,

Aside from that; are you able to give us a brief overview of diving in Italy?

Didn't think there was any...

grazie...

Hey BG,

Aside from that; are you able to give us a brief overview of diving in Italy?

Didn't think there was any...

grazie...

ROTFL: Italy is a peninsula in the middle of Mediterranean sea.

The diving in Italy is "annamo, scennemo, vedemo, risalimo .... insomma, famo come cazzo ce pare" (cit. il Duca). I do hope it's a brief overview.
:rofl3:

A.

....European humour?????

Just italian: I'm not so presumptuous.
:)

My idea was that you were joking: if you know Italy, simply from a geographical point of view, it comes out obviously that you can dive a lot in Italy.

Then, the "brief overview of diving" in Italy is a little ... too general. If you ask specific questions, i'll be glad to answer (as far as my experience can help).

Ciao.
A.

P.S. The phrase I wrote in italian, is somehow the sense of diving to me. A free (and poor, 'cause of my bad english) translation could be "we go, we dive, we see around, we go up ..... basically, we enjoy as we can". A great italian diver told to other very experienced people this words, as a "short briefing" before a dive.

Highly incomplete. The site doesn't mention Liguria (Portofino, 5 Terre, Savona, ...), Tuscany (Isola d'Elba, Argentario, Isola del Giglio, Giannutri, ......), only Anzio in Lazio (Ponza, Ventotene, Tor Paterno, ...), Campania (Naples, Sorrento, Capri, Positano, Ischia, ...), Calabria (Capo Vaticano, Scilla, Reggio, ....), Sicily (Ustica, Eolian ilands, Marettimo, Pantelleria, San Vito Lo Vapo, Siracusa, ...), only Alghero in Sardinia (all the island deserve attention for the dives), only some wrecks in Puglia (Tremiti isles are very beutiful, ...). This is just a very very short list, without thinking.

A lot, really a lot, of wrecks in all regions, between range 12 mt. to 150 mt. In the mediterranen sea during both First and Second WW a lot of ships and airplanes had fought: there are italian, german, french, english, USA, ... wrecks.

That's why it's so difficult to answer a very general question.

Again, a very minimal set of info: much better to ask info for the areas of interest.

Ciao.
A.

Back
Top Bottom