Mola mola in Italy? When? Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why are there so many italian brands on scuba equipments if there was no places to dive?

now that's better!

more specifically; given there are several sites...where would you recommend an experienced diver to go to?

grazie...

now that's better!
more specifically; given there are several sites...where would you recommend an experienced diver to go to?

A brief (and personal) list just to start, by italian region (further details can come),

Sicily: Ustica, that's a small island close to north Sicily coast. Close to Sicily there are a lot of islands that deserve attention: Egadi Isles, Lampedusa Isle, Linosa Isle.

Sardinia: a lot of wonderful places to dive in this island. You can choose the north (la Maddalena or Poltu Qualtu), the west (Alghero, Mal di Ventre, ...), the south (Villasimius, ...) and the east.

Calabria: the best is in the very south of the region. The "Stretto di Messina", where the ancient greeks had put the two mythological monsters, Scilla e Cariddi, is very rich because of the strenght of currents.

Puglia: the Tremiti Isles have very good dive spot, in the south part of Adriatic sea.

Campania: lot of places. Palinuro, Marina di Camerota, Sorrento, Capri, .....

Lazio: the isles of Ponza and Ventotene are good references.

Tuscany: Argentario and Isola d'Elba, Giglio e Giannutri. Very very nice.

Liguria: Portofino. The first protected marine area in Italy.

These are general references. If you like caves, the best are Alghero and Palinuro. If you like wrecks ... it depends on what you like and the depth you can dive. Eventually, there are a lot of lakes (unfortunately I live close to Garda lake, and the sea is not so close to my home): they are cold, dark, deep ... but they have their charm too.

grazie...

Prego.

Ciao,
A.

A brief (and personal) list just to start, by italian region

I forgot an info. The best dives in Mediterranean sea (at least in Italy) are generally from -25 mt to -45 mt. In this range you can find almost every form of mediterranean life.

So an experienced diver can enjoy the sea better than a novice.

It's very different in Red Sea, for example, where you can find a lot of sea life in the range -15 to -25 mt.

I just did a dive about two weeks ago down in Santa Cesarea Terme which is on the southern end of Italy. Look down on the heel of the boot and you will find it. The dive center was called Marea Diving. Address: via Fontanelle, 37. Office telephone: +39 (country code) 0836 949941

Contact names are: Cesare Capone at mobile number +39 (country code) 347 1062952 and email cesarecapone@gmail.com. His colleague is Sonia Accoto at mobile number +39 (country code) 340 6928155 and email megan74@virgilio.it. They are both very delightful.

They normally do groups, but they accommodated me at the last minute with an individual dive with Cesare as my dive buddy. I only had time for one dive and, unfortunately, the visibility wasn't that fantastic due to some storms that week HOWEVER we did an underwater cave dive and it was still breathtaking. There is one cave where salt water and fresh water meet, which was kind of cool.
As an FYI, we stayed at Masseria Panareo which is about ten minutes up the road towards Otranto which gives a good value for the money. I don't have those contact numbers but they are on the internet. As a second FYI, that area of Italy has some lovely towns to visit and the food is... well, Italian, which makes it generally fantastic... so the above the sea life is entertaining also.
Hope this helps. Oh, tell them Glenn (the American Italian from Vicenza) said, "Hello!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom