molokini backwall or crater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back wall is great, but a drop in on Reef’s End is a great dive. Both of these dives are normally live entry and exit, compared to moored. Reef’s end live entry is outside the crater. Lots of cool critters and if your air consumption is good, there is a shark cleaning station at the end of the dive.

The back wall has lots of cool things also, but my favorite is a little long nose hawk fish nestled in the black coral. 70% chance of seeing this fish!

My other favorite second dive in this area is Red Hill. Shallow drift dive near Little Beach. Turtles, variety of Moray Eels, possibility of a Manta ray, this one always is a great dive for me.

I would highly recommend Maui Dream Dives. Great dive guides and captain. They are very serious about great service and safety.

My son and I did Molokini Back Wall with Lahaina Divers. Not a particularly memorable dive, Lahaina Divers were overly paternalistic. Perhaps they believe they must be, the skill of the divers was very variable. Our dive at Reef's End was a bit better.

I dove both the back wall and crater with Maui Divers. Didn't see much at all on the back wall. I thought the crater was actually a pretty good dive, one of the better ones on Maui besides the wharf.

Maui Divers were great and let me get 60 min dives in. I dove some other very expensive dives (hammerhead, 3 tank Lanai) with Lahaina and was not very impressed. They were professional, but limited you to 45 min dives, had those crappy small dia tanks, and generally seemed apathetic. We had a much better time with Maui Divers.

Just got done with both Maui Dreams and Lahaina divers this week. Would recommend both. Great service and top notch gear from what I saw. Did the crater and some shore dives with Maui Dreams and the hammerhead dive with Lahaina Divers. They do limit to 45 min but I was ok with that on an AL80 at 70ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom