Molokini diver operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kb, Thanks for the opinion the back wall I was thinking of making it my 100th dive, which will most likely fall on my 50th B-day! I will probably go out to Lanai instead. Any way I'm traveling to your great island next week and would love to know where the 85' pinnacle is! I've been diving on Maui a couple of times (20 dives) and had heard rumors of such a dive near La Perouse. Can this be done as a shore dive or do you need a boat? Looking forward to visiting your waters.

JB
85' Pinnacles is actually better described as in the Makena area. It's directly off of Black Sand Beach... though would be quite a swim to it, and with the issue of current in the area, I'd not call it "safe" as a shore dive.

I do have a friend with a boat, and we head out occasionally... that is a site worth visiting -- PM me if you're interested in joining us sometime while you're here.

IMO, Lanai would make for a MUCH MUCH MUCH better 100th dive than the Backwall. I'd recommend using Hawaiian Rafting Adventures for that trip... they don't insist on coddling everyone, you get an appropriately sized tank (80 cu ft, or larger if you're a heavy breather and ask for it) and the ride on their RIB is smoother than any aluminium or fibreglass boat I've been on across that channel.

Hi Kris. My wife and I will be on island Aug 29th- Sept 12th and since she doesn't dive I am looking for dive buddies to do some shore or boat diving with. We will be at our place at the palms 808-879-8864. Message me or call my cell 604-308-3565 if you will be diving during that time. I have my aow, nitrox, and taking the rescue course this month.
Stuart

My son and I dived in Maui for the better part of a week in 2003. Our dives included Molokini back wall. It was an interesting dive but certainly not spectacular. We enjoyed Molokini Crater and Lanai dives considerably more.

We stayed in Kaanapali where I had a meeting and chose to dive with Lahaina Divers, mainly for the location. Despite the bigger boat, we never really felt crowded or hurried. They were very reliable. They have a scheduled dive to Molokini back wall on Wednesdays. I'd probably not go out of my way to do that dive again but if lucky enough to return to Maui, I'd like to try the dive they have to Molokai on Tuesdays.

Good diving, Craig

Just curious why no onw ever mentions Scuba Shack based out of Kihei?
I suspect if you do a quick search, you'll find out why.

Recap:
1. lecherous captain
2. strange/annoying rules
3. rigid dive site selection

Just curious why no onw ever mentions Scuba Shack based out of Kihei?

too many of us have had run in's with them ... and were not even near them at the time ...

They do have at least one DM I've been impressed with in the water - but too many other bad things (KrisB mentioned a few) that have spoiled their reputation on Maui.

Aloha, Tim

Hi Kris. My wife and I will be on island Aug 29th- Sept 12th and since she doesn't dive I am looking for dive buddies to do some shore or boat diving with. We will be at our place at the palms 808-879-8864. Message me or call my cell 604-308-3565 if you will be diving during that time. I have my aow, nitrox, and taking the rescue course this month.
Stuart

btw - If you don't finish your rescue course I'd recommend doing it with Kris.

Aloha, Tim

Stuart
Sorry... just noticed these dates -- I'm actually moving back to Canada on Aug 8 -- going back to school for an MBA!

Sorry I can't join you! :(

As of last week, North Shore Explorers boat is in dry dock for repairs, so not an option. Lahaina Divers has a regularly scheduled back wall trip (Wednesdays, I think,) but their boats do not fit your description. If you are staying in Lahaina, you might check with Extended Horizons - smaller boat, very experienced crew and captain, I had a ball diving with them though I think they are more Lanai-focused.

Just a couple corrections to this post; neither North Shore Explorers or Extended Horizons should be mentioned in a Molokini conversation, except to say that the diving from those boats will generally be way better than diving the backside of Molokini :eyebrow:

North Shore Explorers did visit Molokini for a short period of time; when they were contracted by Pro Diver while their boat was out of the water for major repair. Molokini diving requires a special permit and they were operating under Pro Diver's permit during that time, servicing Pro Divers customers.

Extended Horizons plans to dive Lanai every morning charter; conditions permitting. There are mornings that conditions on the South side of Lanai or in the channel between Lahaina and Lanai are such that a better trip stays in West Maui waters. There are also a handful of days a year when all the variables allow a trip to Molokai. I hope to be on one of those trips someday.

Even if I get to go to Molokai to work, I will also pay to go there with North Shore Explorers (I hope : ) :coffee:

I have also noticed over the past few months that almost every boat, whether it is going out of Kihei Boat Ramp, Lahaina, Mala Ramp or even Ma'alaea Harbor have not been "full capacity". So your "cattle boats" are not so bad.

I am sure there are days that I have not been in some areas that the boats are full but with tourism running lower than normal I no crowding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom