Monastery Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobeeno

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just saw a video from a dive buddy taken at Monastery North. The kelp was stationary and seemed like it would be possible to stand on the wash rock that usually gets pounded 99% of the time. Vis was reported 50'

...of course. On weekdays its glass flat, bright and clear water, dolphins and whales... and come Sat and Sun it'll be 15 ft waves, sideways rain, cold and gloomy of course :(

Ouch!

Just saw a video from a dive buddy taken at Monastery North. The kelp was stationary and seemed like it would be possible to stand on the wash rock that usually gets pounded 99% of the time. Vis was reported 50'

...of course. On weekdays its glass flat, bright and clear water, dolphins and whales... and come Sat and Sun it'll be 15 ft waves, sideways rain, cold and gloomy of course :(

I would have to agree with this. Literally dead calm during the week, and 10 footers at least on the weekends. Hasn't been much of a dive year for me so far this year. We did get out last weekend on the North Coast though.

Hey Mubin
It was an epic day at Monastery. I had to go since it looks like the rains are coming and the ocean picking up. Sorry you couldn't make it. When I got home I found my flat port housing for my gopro hero 2 got delivered. I had hoped to have it for this dive. I shot the video with my G10. I agree with other posters that it seems the days that are best for diving are not in line with your days off.
Here's the link if interested.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better Ben, during winter break even the weekdays had some massive waves. :(

There is a reason it is nicknamed mortuary beach. I loved diving there, but it has been close to 10 years. The surface swims could be rather long if you wanted to get some depth. I suppose it hasn't changed much.

There is a reason it is nicknamed mortuary beach. I loved diving there, but it has been close to 10 years. The surface swims could be rather long if you wanted to get some depth. I suppose it hasn't changed much.

Actually the surface swim is quite the opposite. It's pretty much the closest access to deep water from shore in Carmel and Monterey. Now the exit and the climb up the hill... that's another story

Actually the surface swim is quite the opposite. It's pretty much the closest access to deep water from shore in Carmel and Monterey. Now the exit and the climb up the hill... that's another story

I suppose you are right, I remember it being somewhat physically strenuous, especially in the summer with a drysuit on and a bunch of OW students. 10 years and my memory must be slipping, thanks for setting me straight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom