Money-no-object reg; what would get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to throw my card in the hat, if I could have any regulator, and money was no object, I would try to get a working black label 1953 trademark Aqualung. This was the first regulator made in America, and is sort of the grand daddy of them all for us here in the U.S. I have never seen one for sale.

I think I'd go with a new, one-off royal aquamaster or a rebreather. At least those would be two very expensive options!

In terms of performance it's very difficult to beat a D series 2nd stage on any decent 1st stage; my favorite is the MK5. Another all time favorite is the 109/156/balanced adjustable. So another candidate would be a new one-off MK5/156. Actually, one of my MK5s is pretty close to new condition, and I recently saw a re-chromed 109 that looked PERFECT, so it would not be too difficult to get a brand-new looking set.

I don't know enough about the new A700, but I'm curious. Interesting that the only new reg on my list is vintage-inspired.

<snip>For a single hose regulator, I would have a hard time improving on the combination of a Scubapro metal Balanced adjustable (156) second stage and an Aqua Lung Titan first stage.

The Titan first stage is an excellent design and does everything a first stage is supposed to do. The mechanical design has been around basically unchanged since 1965 (in the Royal Aqua Master) and parts support should be available long after I am gone.<snip>

I second the Titan first stage, or anything that uses the same rebuild kit (like the Conshelfs). There is a reason that the design hasn't changed for over 40 years and is still used in both commercial and military regulators.

For a second stage, I slightly prefer the Cyklon 300, but only slightly.

I have my dream-reg: Mares Abyss (with Abyss Octo). So far it has been flawless at 130ffw in cold water (40F) and it could still breath like a charm.

If you could have any reg you wanted that had to cover all the bases (fresh, salt, warm, cold but not ice, air/nitrox, etc.) what would you get?

Just curious what the collective of Scubaboard would gravitate towards. :D

MK 25/G250V :palmtree: Bob

Why would I want anything more than my 20 YO Mk10 & G200---I know(--I think anyway) the G250 is better, but, with ZERO problems over 20 years-----you know the old saying, if it ain't broken, don't fix it......

Just my simple mind typing here......lol

Why would I want anything more than my 20 YO Mk10 & G200---I know(--I think anyway) the G250 is better, but, with ZERO problems over 20 years-----you know the old saying, if it ain't broken, don't fix it......

Just my simple mind typing here......lol

I thought I'd read somewhere (Vance Harlow's book?) that the advantage of the G250 over the G200 was adjustability, not ease of breathing? I'm not a Scubapro guy, so I don't know... but don't they use basically the same case design and internal parts, minus the adjuster for the G200? If so, it would make sense that performance was similar/same.

Best wishes.

Since I'm nicking pits, the G200 is unbalanced and it's the G200B that has the same performance as the G250.
The G200B's that I own breath every bit as well as any regulator ever made and although the cracking pressure can't be adjusted underwater the black plastic barrel nut can be screwed in and out very easily with an allen key if needed without taking anything apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom