Monkey Fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mattleycrue76

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well yesterday I got my first taste of monkey diving and I'm hooked:D

For those who haven't heard of it monkey diving involves slingling a bottle (usually an AL80), and a scooter. For us cold water divers it's about the closest thing to diving minimalism. Dives are kept shallow and the emphasis is on goofing around and having fun. We took this video at a local dive site. Just thought I'd share.

Morning Monkey on Vimeo

Cool video. Looks like fun

Nice video.

I've only been monkey diving once. It was in the middle of a 5 day CCR tech course. The class was intense, starting with equipment at 6am, then diving in the day, and then classroom until 9pm. One day instead of classroom time, the instructor took me Monkey Diving as a way of shaking loose from the stress of the class. It worked perfectly and we had a blast.

Greetings Mattlycrue76 sweet video and I have seen this before. The X Scooter demo video has some really awesome video as well. I am ready for some monkey diving but in the process of gathering funds for a scooter. I have to be careful so my wife does not get wind of it. After all I will drive a used car that my scooter will ride in that is worth 1/4 of the scooter! You have to have priorities after all!
I know now why people get lost in diving, there is no end.....................................
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Well yesterday I got my first taste of monkey diving and I'm hooked:D

For those who haven't heard of it monkey diving involves slingling a bottle (usually an AL80), and a scooter. For us cold water divers it's about the closest thing to diving minimalism. Dives are kept shallow and the emphasis is on goofing around and having fun. We took this video at a local dive site. Just thought I'd share.

Morning Monkey on Vimeo

Hi great vids! Hard to watch without being able to get into the water right after.:D
I have a question-why sling, why not just leave the tank on your back? Seems to me that the sling gets in the way by having to hold it when doing loops n stuff.:D That's the kind of diving I like.

looks like a great time... thanks for the vid.

Hi great vids! Hard to watch without being able to get into the water right after.:D
I have a question-why sling, why not just leave the tank on your back? Seems to me that the sling gets in the way by having to hold it when doing loops n stuff.:D That's the kind of diving I like.

With the tank on your back, it's just regular scootering...with the cylinder slung, you have

• Less gear on, which is a very liberating feeling
  • More mobility, which is very liberating
  • Easier to gear up, which is more liberating

All the best, James

All of what James said plus this:

I almost always wear big steel tanks like HP119s HP130s. While this is great for long deepish dives in cold water it's not the most maneuverable rig. Doubles are even worse. They are incredibly stable in the water which is great for diving but not so great when you just wanna play around. I found that having the tank slung allowed me to hold pretty much any position on the trigger without the tendancy to roll over. You can see this near the beginning where I'm scootering along the side of the wreck with the La-Z-Boy scooter. With a big backmounted tank I would have had to really work to not just roll on my back. And once upside down it would have been harder to get back upright.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom