Monterey Bay observations Jan 15th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchaplain

Contributor
Reaction score
Rode around Monterey today. I really wanted to dive but I thought it was too rough/surgy and vis would suck too much so I passed.

A few observations and questions.

1) What is it with the dorks beeping their car horns driving through the tunnel at Cannery Row? Why do they do that? Just to be dopes?

2) There were some brave folks diving Breakwater today. Can anyone report on how the vis was?

3) About noon I guess it was, a boat ( about 30 feet ) came in and anchored a a couple hundred feet if that off the shore at Breakwater and 3 divers went in. WHY?? lol.... most of the dive boats were further offshore and in much more interesting areas to dive I'm sure. ( I'm guessing no-one knows the answer including the captain...lol...)

4) Saw 2 more brave souls attempt diving at Monastary. The surf was up pretty good too! They did a real good job of getting in and out despite the surf but they called the dive short due to low vis. I give them a lot of credit for making a go of it today!

Did anyone else dive Monterey today? ( or wuss out and drive around it like I did? )

John C.

I was diving off the Escapade today. Hopkins Deep and the Aquarium area. We stayed in the bay because the swells made it look like it would be pretty difficult around the corner and further out. The vis was best deeper at Hopkins - at about 80 feet, we had around 15 feet, maybe a little better. There was definitely surge!

Oh, and about the tunnel. The honking is just tradition. No one is honking at anyone, it's just the thing to do. Like kissing the blarney stone. :wink:
-Bill

bedmund:
I was diving off the Escapade today. Hopkins Deep and the Aquarium area. We stayed in the bay because the swells made it look like it would be pretty difficult around the corner and further out. The vis was best deeper at Hopkins - at about 80 feet, we had around 15 feet, maybe a little better. There was definitely surge!

Oh, and about the tunnel. The honking is just tradition. No one is honking at anyone, it's just the thing to do. Like kissing the blarney stone. :wink:
-Bill

Hi Bill,
15 feet vis is about all I ever get diving in Boston, so I could live with that!

Whoever was boat diving off Breakwater would have done better further out I'm sure for visibility. Closer to shore like that would be less vis.

As for honking the horns....silly huh? I'm sure a lot of visitors not knowing get seriously distracted by that. Not good for driving safety. Oh well.

I dove Pt.Lobos in the cove anywhere from 2-5ft. once you got out a little way it opened up to 15-20ft maybe. There was definitely surge. We got there around 10:30, the ranger at the gate told us only one other team had checked in. Four or five Seals wanted to play...had a good time with them.:D

i was all over monterey bay, GOT IN ONE DIVE all week end woo hooo, big deal, took in students on saturday, 5-8 ft vis, on sunday i just watched everyone attempt to dive and i decided not to go in, so i visited with many friends that i ran into there, i would laugh and joke at all of the poor souls getting pumeled going in and coming out, but i wont this time as a diver was injured in it, he was hit by a wave and it broke his knee and mabey much worse as his leg moved from side to side instead of back and fourth, i wish him well, and a safe and soon recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim-
And you want me to come diving there? OMG!!! And I thought that the surf on the canal got bad or the swells in Canada (BC) gee whiz....are your trying to knock off dive buddies??? :)
Kirsten

I was with Bill on the Escapade... I didn't get to say hi though.. I'll try to next time around...

15 ft vis... surgy...

Swung by the Breakwater to check things out.... Washing machine action Nice day to watch the action...not to nice to get in. I don't know what was up with that boat.... If the classes had a real dive flag out there I guess they could have gotten a ticket since they were pretty close to the class float.

That would be kinda funny though here you are diving the breakwater and come upon an anchor!:11:

Hey Jim... I guess I missed you there.

View attachment 27428

View attachment 27429

scubak:
Jim-
And you want me to come diving there? OMG!!! And I thought that the surf on the canal got bad or the swells in Canada (BC) gee whiz....are your trying to knock off dive buddies??? :)
Kirsten
bwaaaa ha ha , lol, hey there K how are you and thaks for the help on that dm question, it realy isnt that bad here normally, but that is why i didnt go in and neither did my buddies or instructors!!! lol oh and to the rest, i saw that boat too and saw divers go off of it, but inless i am wrong he had no business having that boat there!!!!

We decided to try Friday afternoon, as the weekend forecast looked like crap. We got about 10-15' of vis at the breakwater along the wall with a touch of surge. Wasn't enough to motivate us for a second dive.

Any idea what happened to the diver who broke their leg? Any idea how it happened?

At Breakwater as well. While buddies checked out conditions in the morning, I sat out and helped people in the surf zone instead.

After reports for 10' - 15' viz, we jumped in at 1pm. We got 5' - 10' viz at 40'.

You know it's not going to be great when you see all the charter boats off the Metridium Fields.

-Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom