Monterey Bay observations Jan 15th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee:
We decided to try Friday afternoon, as the weekend forecast looked like crap. We got about 10-15' of vis at the breakwater along the wall with a touch of surge. Wasn't enough to motivate us for a second dive.

Any idea what happened to the diver who broke their leg? Any idea how it happened?
on the diver that broke the leg, i was talking to his instructor, he was doing his IDC, all that i can tell you is that he was entering the water and was hit by a breaker (no pun intended) and it took out the leg and was taken away in the ambulance with injuries to the knee, instructor is the one that told me the leg moved from left to right, not back and fourth, i too hope to hear more on this poor guy.

That boat isn't going to get a ticket. He can LEGALLY park right next to the dive float.
California law doesn't really say much about dive flags. See:
http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/diveflag.html

I don't recall ever seeing that boat diving before. It may just be a newbie boat owner
being conservative. Not a bad idea -- do the first dive somewhere you can swim to
shore if your dive ladder (or lack of one) doesn't work out.

And there are other legitimate reasons to, with care, park there. I've parked the
whaler about there to support a club "tune-up" dive. Come in slowly, watch carefully
for bubbles, and help folks sort out their weighting.

Ben_ca:
I was with Bill on the Escapade... I didn't get to say hi though.. I'll try to next time around...

Hi Ben,
Sorry I didn't say "hi". I was the one under the canopy on the starboard side with the doubles and the white deco bottle. Next time we can shake drygloves. :)

-Bill

Chuck Tribolet:
That boat isn't going to get a ticket. He can LEGALLY park right next to the dive float.
California law doesn't really say much about dive flags. See:
http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/diveflag.html

I don't recall ever seeing that boat diving before. It may just be a newbie boat owner
being conservative. Not a bad idea -- do the first dive somewhere you can swim to
shore if your dive ladder (or lack of one) doesn't work out.

And there are other legitimate reasons to, with care, park there. I've parked the
whaler about there to support a club "tune-up" dive. Come in slowly, watch carefully
for bubbles, and help folks sort out their weighting.

I didn't think it was such a bad thing for the boat to anchor there, I just thought that there were probably better places to go. He was too close to divers I think according to laws in some states....like in Masschusetts you have to stay back at least 300 feet from dive flags. But I don't think he caused any problems and like you said, maybe a newbie who wanted to dive conservatively in an area they knew or something.

jchaplain:
I didn't think it was such a bad thing for the boat to anchor there, I just thought that there were probably better places to go. He was too close to divers I think according to laws in some states....like in Masschusetts you have to stay back at least 300 feet from dive flags. But I don't think he caused any problems and like you said, maybe a newbie who wanted to dive conservatively in an area they knew or something.

Correction....I checked the Mass laws...it's 100 feet

Screw the human divers, you have to be a whale to get real protection...

from Massachuetts boating laws;

Boat operators are prohibited from approaching within 500 YARDS of Northern Right whales.
Approach with extreme caution within 100 YARDS of any other species of whales.

sigh.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom