Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure where you got 60+ viz. We were there this morning and at 50' the viz was less that 10 feet.

We didn't even hit the water until noon, it was magic. Not sure where you were or if a up swelling came through. We lost the light to fog for about 10 minutes and vid dropped but then it snapped right back. Are max depth was around 45ft or so. I was wishing I was not 60mm macro.

Hey Griffon I saw you guys. I was diving North (lake) Monastery. When I surfaced the fog came in briefly like you said. It was weird. The vis on my side was about 30 or slightly better. It got brown in the sandy area and further out. I was debating on South for second dive but didn't do it. Wish I had.

Monterey Bay - Ballbuster and Aumentos Thursday. the Bay was wind choppy and vis was not good near the surface but opened up to a decent 25-30' below 30 feet. I lost my Light Monkey 200' reel so if anyone comes across it I will offer a fine reward.

Point Lobos yesterday was very good but also had the shallow plankton/muck layer going on. Made it out to the end of Beto's and found a tire and large pile of chain at 125' depth at the end but no GPO's. Vis was nice 30 feet with water temp a chilly 48. Driving to Point Lobos, I have not seen Monastery look soooo calm as I did yesterday.

Whalers Cove:

IMG_3471.jpg

South Monastery yesterday was awesome. Dove with Griffon and pals. After they left I played in the shallows until my other buddy arrived. Stayed clear and calm all day, at least on the South side.

Today at Butterfly house was a different story. Looked pretty calm when I got there about 10:30, and wasn't bad when we swam out to Outer Butterfly. By the time we surfaced a mere 30 min later the swell was really starting to build.

Viz wasn't bad, but not the 50' we had yesterday. Also in spite of a blazing sun overhead it was pretty dark under the kelp canopy.

2 this morning at north monastery. water was colder, 49f at depth. vis was pretty good, 30+ past 80ft. wind started picking up when we finished. lots of people at both north and south monastery today. surface was sunny with a slight breeze.

A combination of equipment problems and poor conditions made for a short dive at Point Lobos this morning.

There was a big swell and lots of white water from the waves breaking on the rocks between Whaler's and Blue Fish, so we headed for Middle Reef. The water was cold---48F---and very surgey, but the vis was OK, 15+ feet.

26 minutes, max depth 43 feet.

Saturday 4/18/2015 - Showed up late to Monterey Sea Otter's Dive Club San Carlos Beach cleanup, however there was another late diver, with whom I was buddied up with to pick up trash along the B/W wall. Surgey with the WNW swell but calmed and cleared up the farther out we got, improving to 10-15' visibility. I have noticed more Sea Stars lately and not so many urchins. Mahalo to Sea Otter's for the well organized dive.
Descent 9:53am 32 min 42 fsw 51.8 degrees.

North Monastery today had so-so 15-20ft vis. Moderate surge to 30ft. The 40-70 ft zone was nice. Entry at about 11am was fairly easy but by end of dive at exit swell had picked up a bit a did sort of a body surf in then crawl out. Trick is to enter/exit at far north end of the beach. You end up having to surface swim farther around the mat of kelp but the surf is greatly reduced there compared to closer to the middle of the beach. After exiting, watching the surf at the middle of the beach it was really treacherous there with the largest sets breaking shoulder high (compared to where I entered where at entry between sets was just knee high and on exit waist high). Only saw one other pair of divers.

The dive itself was not very eventful. Several large lings, lot's of urchins, brittle stars and sea cucumbers. Had a close encounter with a foraging cormorant at 45ft. Was using a new camera set-up with lights and added a gopro to the rig. seemed to work pretty well. am downloading the footage now for review.

Traffic back to Santa Clara was horrid. Thankfully I know of a bypass to 156 that came in very handy today and made it less painful.

cheers

Breakwater today, Sunday the 19th. 5-10ft vis. The wall had better vis then the pipes. Stirred up like witches cook pot from all the bottom crashers. Not much surge and only moderate well spaced ankle biter waves. Sea hair city at the pipe.

Lovers looked to rough for the recently certed newds I had with me today. Kinda wish we had at least checked Carmel first though. Sounds like it pretty rough though.

Hour and forty five minutes to get from break water to moss landing, then it turned normal two minutes later. That sucked epically, no idea what was going on with that [emoji35].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dove with Mike and Bo at South Monastery, entering was calm, not too long after descending Mike our guide for the day called it quits, it got too surgy and vis did not look too promising, 10' or less. We turned around. Exit got a bit rough so we got a chance to practice our shore diving exits.
Second dive I was ready to skip, but Mike and Bo was going to dive so I followed with very low expectations but was really glad to do that dive because we found a reef that we have never been and it was a pleasant 15' vis with some light under the kelp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom