Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meubin, you posted this morning about S. Monastery so I take it your dive was yesterday? I was just studying the swell forecasts, studying buoy data, etc., and thinking about going down on Tuesday. But then I saw your post above and you're doing a good job of talking me out of it! But then I can also see that it was a lot rougher on Sunday than it is forecast to be on Tuesday.

Oh yes Bruce, the dive was Sunday and I also forgot to mention the second dive was at Lovers 1 I think, it was calm.
Meubin, you posted this morning about S. Monastery so I take it your dive was yesterday? I was just studying the swell forecasts, studying buoy data, etc., and thinking about going down on Tuesday. But then I saw your post above and you're doing a good job of talking me out of it! But then I can also see that it was a lot rougher on Sunday than it is forecast to be on Tuesday.

Hopkins Deep and Eric's Pinnacle yesterday. It was cold (50F) and green, vis down to 5-10 ft at worst and 20 ft at best. Surge-y around the pinnacle, and a bit choppy on the surface. Quite a challenging day, for me at least. But saw some really nice stuff - including a colonial salp (I think) and lots of huge anemones at Hopkins. And because it was so green and murky, all the giant barnacles at Eric's were having a feeding frenzy. Which was rather lovely to watch. Saw my first Dendronotus albus - and any day spotting a new nudibranch is a good day.

4/28, 7am dive at lovers 3. 5-15ft vis, Murky, stirred, green and massive particulates. Still a fun dive and beat driving to the office. Was surgery shallow but as we got to 35-40ft it lightened up and cycle time got longer. Picts/vid up later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 29th, 2015 at 04:09 PM ----------

Can't seem to edit my post :(.
Picts from lovers 3 Tuesday AM and short vid, which is probable all to accurate in showing the vis. The pictures are touched up lies.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/walkerpad/sets/72157649923212263/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-z74kgSm8

Fun dive to the Point Lobos Middle Reef this morning. The surface was glassy when we arrived but there was a notable swell and surge (when we dove). The viz was a milky 15-20 feet & the water continues to be cool, 48F min. Not a lot of fish to video, but my buddy was greeted by a harbor seal when he surfaced at the end of the dive (gone when I surfaced a moment later).

52 feet max depth, 42 minutes.

Went by Monastery and Butterfly House but it didn't look worth the waves. Did two at Breakwater. Beautiful day. Vis was not awesome. 10-15 but since we were shooting macro it was enough. A ton of nudibranchs and shrimp.

about 30 ft vis at lobos today.. a depth opened to probably 50 or so.

I was on a boat today and we made south of Soberanes Point. While there was very little wind, a fairly imposing swell dominated everything. Even at 70 feet, I could feel a strong surge. Had excellent visibility ranging at least 40ft horizontally. I don't think I have seen this many long strands of salp before. While they weren't big, in fact very small, each strands had a very large number of individuals. Did see a fair number of medium sized lincods and vermilion rock fish.

If your stomach and medication can withstand the swell, Carmel, from a boat, is the place to dive this weekend.

Sunday, Mike and I took a look at North Monastery. Looked nice and blue but entry/exit was beyond our comfort level. Headed to McAbee. Surface swam straight out and once descended went 30 degrees heading till we hit about 50'+depth. We saw strawberry anemones and metridiums covered boulders. Vis was about 15'-20'. However coming back we had spots of 25'vis under the kelp. Tried to find the boiler wreck that I once dove into years ago by accident but no luck. Would definitely go back.

Two dives at Breakwater yesterday. Temps were about 47 degrees at 40' with vis in the 25-30' range. Very flat for our first dive, and just a little bit of swell on our afternoon dive. Great day for sure.

Back
Top Bottom