Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was at the Breakwater for some training dives just shy of the Metridium fields. Our current medley of Pea Soup and Turkey Gravy continues. I doubt visibility exceeded 3-5 feet. Had heavy surge and surf. Heard reports that Lover's Point had become the next Mavericks or North Shore. Done with diving for a while, unless we get vis reports that mirror what I had on Molokini.

100 dives X 3 feet of visibilty equals 300 feet of visiblilty :) YAY!

The visibility in Monterey does vary seasonally, but with a large noise component. It generally turns green about this time, but not this green. And clears up just after Labor Day. I don't think it's the little fish and shrimp that eat the green, I think it's the jellies, esp. the Sea Nettles.

But the noise component can give nice vis in July, and bad vis in December.

If the swells lay down for a few days in winter, there can be some VERY nice vis. And the swells aren't necessarily tied to rain. Often when it starts raining, esp. on a Pineapple Express storm, it lays down very nicely.

Did two dives at North Monastery. Very green and not good vis. However, there were a lot of awesome jellies in the water. I also saw a 5-6ft Sturgeon in the shallows. He had to have been lost. Very cool dive.

North Monastery 284-285 154 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Some of the most exotic creatures I have seen have been at that place...something about the north end! Very cool

Did two dives at North Monastery. Very green and not good vis. However, there were a lot of awesome jellies in the water. I also saw a 5-6ft Sturgeon in the shallows. He had to have been lost. Very cool dive.

North Monastery 284-285 154 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I saw a sturgeon at Coral St a couple of years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAoEnKxbmT0), after which I learned that they spend part of their life cycles in the ocean. So maybe not lost after all.

Nice sighting.

I know Sturgeon like brackish water but I'm not sure where this guy came from. He did seem like he wanted to swim to shore and spent a fair amount of time in the shallows. Last time I saw one of these I was fishing at the mothball fleet in Martinez.

Nice video. Thanks for the link.

Ping ping ping.....any updates? Thinking about Monastery tomorrow Saturday. Wondering if the green veil is lifting. Any word out there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom