Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I drove by breakwater after my dives at Monastery. BW was an ugly brown color. Monastery was pretty green and I doubt it will be much better on Saturday. However, I would dive it if I had the chance due to all of the jellies. Might get back out on Tuesday.

Dove on the Beach Hopper II yesterday. Captain took us to a spot called Point Joe. The swell was a bit heavy and there was quite a bit of surge. We got about 15' of viz at 65 feet. Still a lot of particulates. GREAT boat and crew by the way. Cheers!

The viz was a tolerable 8-12' at Coral St on Saturday morning, but there was a long-period swell that built as the morning wore on; it was already pretty bumpy on our morning dive, and by noon things had picked up to the point where it wasn't a hard call to decide not to go for a second dive.

I would say no better than a milky/soupy 10-15 feet at Pt. Lobos on June 8th (Saturday).

This clip was taken at Middle Reef but it was not any better at 70ft (just past hole in the wall).

[video=vimeo;67975424]https://vimeo.com/67975424[/video]

We had a very dark dive at Jawdropper (Carmel side). Thick layer, that blocked all the light, to about 40 ft, then the vis opened up to about 15'. Second dive was at Mola Mountain in Monterey. Green, 15', but more light that in Carmel.

Dove yesterday at the DUI Demo (at Breakwater) and it was a fun event, dove dry for the first time. Everyone was really friendly and I recognized a bunch of people from local shops. Tried out the Flx Etreme and CF200. I thought vis was around 5-7 ft. at San Carlos Beach - Middle Reef. My first dive was short and through middle reef. The second one went out from the beach at 60° till we hit ~40 ft, turned 90° left and came back on the hypotenuse of our triangle.

We saw a bunch of individual salps and a few salp chains, a ton of nickel-to-quarter sized crabs scurrying around. There were also a few rainbow nudibranchs (Dendronotus iris) chowing down on tube-dwelling anemonies.

Computer read 52 °C at depth.

Yep, as expected, South Monastery on Saturday was a bit scary. Pretty surgy, green 10' of viz down to 50'. Some divers were reporting it opened up to 15-20 further out towards Mono Lobo, where a boat (Escapade perhaps?) dumped their load of divers.

Got Lobos reservations for the 16th. We are hopeful the green veil lifts.

Dove Breakwater wall and had 15-20ft vis and not very green. Man what a difference a few days make. Last week Breakwater looked like chocolate milk. Hopefully the west wind for the rest of the week will continue an upwhelling. Second dive was pipes and had 10-15ft vis. The wall was awesome. Drove by Monastery and you couldn't park at South because of road work. North looked doable but surgey and I didn't feel like working that hard. Talked to a diver who did North yesterday and had 20ft vis. Photos soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/9020535591/

Last edited:
N. Monastery had 80' to 100' of visibility on Sunday. It was absolutely awesome. I could see the other side of Carmel Canyon as I went along the wall to the north side of the wash rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom