Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helped a young lady change a flat tire this morning, and with that good karma on board had a fun dive at the breakwater.

The sea's were calm, though not as glass like as yesterday apparently. Vis was about 15', it could have been better but it was overcast and dark so hard to say. There were lots of fish, though mostly small, and numerous dead or dying jellyfish. I saw several lingcods, but they were very skittish today & didn't want to be filmed. Was buzzed by a harbor seal at the edge of visibility but it didn't return.

41 feet max depth, 51 minutes bottom time and a balmy 56F min water temperature. (Which was good 'cause my drysuit is leaking again. :( A quick inspection revealed a couple of puncture suspects, so it may be fixable.)

Dove Macabee with Mubin. 10-20ft vis. Best vis out further. That kelp in the shallows can turn your stomach if you stare at it too close. Second dive Breakwater 15 ft vis max. Vis got worse as you got further out along wall.

Today 7-17 was spectacular. Summer topside and calm winter visibilty. If I had a waterproof camera, I would have sat on the wash rock and taken a selfie. 1st dive north Monastery wall 50' vis between 25-88 feet depth and 52 degrees warm. At about 1:30 pm the sun was at the perfect place for this dive.
Second dive was Carmel Meadows, vis was 30' to 45' at around 4pm.

I got a report from Paul Festus at Any Water Thursday afternoon that conditions were too good to ignore. So today (Friday) my wife and I went to Point Lobos. Paul was right! The water was completely flat with no surge whatsoever. When I was out on Seamount, I could see there was a very gentle current moving to the east. Once we got below 40' or so, visibility opened up to 40'+. It was easily 40' at HITW, more like 50' as we went out Beto's Reef. On the second dive we explored all the nicks and crannies on Middle Reef and it was the same: below about 40fsw the water was very clear. As we came into the cove, though, it dropped down to less than 20'. It looks like the weekend should offer more of the same.

Interestingly, the water is balmy warm. I don't think I saw less than 55F today and quite often I was shocked to see my computer reporting 57F. That's not quite like what I had in Komodo last month, but it will do for Monterey.

2 dives at south monastery with the crowd from AWS. water was 59F/60F and vis was 30 to 40 ft in parts. Sun came out for the 2nd dive but surge also picked up. Definitely a day to be in Carmel.

7/18 Friday afternoon dive lobo. Flat flat flat, 30-40ft vis no surge. Fantastic day to be out.
jynapyne.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7-19th. North Monastery vis was about 40'+down to 99f depth. Carmel meadows was very dark under the kelp. Very much like a night dive. A bit further out vis was about 40+ and was surgy. On both dives, temp was about 60 degrees. Thought my computer was malfunctioning but someone at the dive shop experienced the same. Was able to move very slow with the comfy temp.

I heard some Hammerhead sharks were spotted near Dana Point down south. Water must be getting pretty warm all over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom