Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturday morning - Fire Rock soupy to about 40 feet, below that it opened up to 15-25 or so feet varying throughout the dive. I spent the majority of the dive about 75-65 feet checking out the hordes of nudis... Yes hordes :wink:
Saturday just after noon - Aumentos Reef also soupy to about 40 feet. Again opened up below that, and was pretty consistent at about 20 feet. More nudis, smaller hordes though. :cool2:

Lobos today for a 2 pm dive. Sunny, surface calm and very kelpy. Viz was about 2 full buddy lengths comfortably, but very dark. We dove along Granite Point Wall and having good lights was essential to seeing anything. Couple of large (but not buddy sized) lingcods. Lots of juveniles of many types. Viz was good enough to see the 3-diver buddy team before crashing into them while at the wall. No manikin sighting. Going again tomorrow.

On the same charter with Kevin, and concur with his vis report though I would have said 15 feet at Aumentos. I was getting 50-52 degrees, minimal surface swell, minimal current. Saw a wolf eel at Fire Rock.

Did 2 at Breakwater. 15-20 ft vis. Not bad compared to how it's been. Talked to some divers coming out of North Monastery and they had 30. It was getting rough by then so I opted for BW.

Coral St this morning: 20-25' of vis in the outer half of the kelp bed; very surgey. If not for the surge it would've been a fabulous day; it was still pretty nice despite the rough ride.

Lover's Pt (#3) this early afternoon: 15' vis, lots of stirred-up sand; not quite so surgey, although far from flat. About 52 Oceanic degrees at both sites.

Dove North Monastery yesterday. A bit of surge. Vis was 30ft or better. It got calmer as you got deeper but the vis dropped a little too. 52 degrees. Breakwater was 5-10.

I know this is short notice... I'm looking to dive Monterey Tomorrow (Sunday 6/22) and I am buddy-less this weekend.

Checking online, there appears to be a couple boats with spaces available. Anyone interested?
I would also consider shore diving sites I haven't done yet, which is everywhere except Point Lobos and Breakwater.

(I wouldn't rule out breakwater either, but would like to try something new)

(I posted here because I know a lot of people have this thread bookmarked)

-------
Edit:
Guess it's too late, not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Eric's Pinnacle this morning under about 18-20 feet of yellow-green was nice open blue 30 foot vis. Little bit of surge near the pinnacle top, no significant current. 52 degrees. Aquarium vis later in the morning was 10-15 feet down to the sand.

Great dive at the Monterey Breakwater this morning.

The vis was only 15', but there were LOTS of fish both in the water column and on the bottom. Greenlings, rockfish, lingcod, cabezon, etc. etc.

Managed to tap a cabezon on the nose without losing a finger. :wink:

It would have been a great 3D dive, but instead I had a new 5-camera, cameras-pointing-everywhere rig. I have no idea how I'm going to edit all the video---it may take hours to just transfer it to my computer---but there should be some creative opportunities there.

Max depth 41', water temp 50F, bottom time 49 minutes.

Dove Otter Cove (South of Lovers3 and north of Coral st.)
Vis was 5' in the shallows but at 30fsw vis opened up to 30'+. Once we found a reef, we spent the entire dive there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom