Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did anyone dive this weekend?

---------- Post added May 31st, 2014 at 07:16 PM ----------

I went yesterday. Breakwater was very green along wall. 10ft or less. Del Monte Pier had the same but a lot of Metridium. If you are going to dive poor vis then you can't beat macro at the pier. An Otter was all over me on the surface. He seemed to like his reflection in my camera.Here's a link. https://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/?details=1
Went by Monastery and water looked blue but a little bit rough. Vis did not seem like it was going to be worth the effort so we went to the places listed above.

Had two nice dives at Lobos today. It was overcast, so dark in the water, but we had good vis and cold water---48F---both dives.

First dive: Hole in the Wall and Lone metridium. It was glassy with a small swell and low-ish tide when we launched ourselves off the end of the boat ramp. The kelp is thick, but the boats have kept a channel clear. It was dark, but I feel comfortable calling it 30 to 40 feet visibility at HITW & LM. The LM was in full splendor. 40 minutes, 65 feet max depth.

Second dive: Middle reef. Kicked out to more-or-less where we'd started the first dive an headed right instead of left. Vis was 30-ish. The tide had come up, making the ramp entry and exit easier, but the swell came up too so it was surgey. 45 minutes, 69 feet max depth. Saw what appeared to be a juvenile sunflower star. One of my camera housings flooded so will only get a 2D video out of this one.

Dove Monterey Bay this weekend both days. Hopkins Reef and Ballbuster Deep were the two named sites. No photos, doing training dives. Ballbuster Deep was by far the best today, 130' with great vis once below 40ish' of pea soup. On the bottom was a good 25' though dim. Temp was 47 on the bottom, huge schools of small fish (2" long with black spot on sides towards the aft end) Not many large fish, one lingcod. Very enjoyable site! Hopkins was noted for many 2 foot clusters of squid eggs, pretty cool. Wish I had my camera on both dives. Sea was very calm and no real surge shallow or at depth.

Did 2 dives at Lobos June 2nd. Vis was about 10' in the cove and 30' beyond 60'depth. Original plan was to do one at Granite pt. wall but ended up doing both dives W past Lone Metridium since vis seemed better that direction.

Last edited:
Can't remember which buddy/source told me, but last weekend the "rescue crews" were doing a training exercise at Pt. Lobos and the 150# (air weight?) manikin (dummy) was lost in about 100' of water.

If anyone has any more details about where it was lost then I might adjust my dive plan(s) at Lobos to include a little search practice. Per Jocie, it was still missing as of 6/4/14. Also some idea of the dummy's buoyancy characteristics would be helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom