Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Point Lobos was beautiful today. Visiblity inside the cove was a good 20 feet and opened up nicely to 40-50 feet at Hole In the Wall. Surge had calmed down a little from yesterday. Wish my regular dive buddy was with me today and that I had my double 100s. From the report that the BAUE divers gave, it was stunningly clear the farther you went. It's fall/winter diving conditions smack in the middle of summer.

Monastery was a bit rough today so I did 2 at Breakwater. Along wall had 15-20 foot vis when you got bellow 25ft. Second dive was out to Metridium. Vis dropped to less than 10ft as you got further out. 51 degrees both dives. Coming back on the pipe there was a noticable current.

Did 3 dives at Monastery today. Vis in the shallows and in the kelp was 30ft. Outside and deeper was a very milky 20ft. North Monastery had a little surge in the shallows which is to be expected. Second dive I went over to South side because it looked like a lake. Very calm, no surge and the same thing going on with the vis. I never got deeper than 25ft and had a ball. Third dive was South again. 3 dives an hour each. Talked to some divers that went to 90 ft at North side and said vis was about 30.

2 at south monastery. vis was 30 to 40 ft. saw a bunch of other divers. seems everyone took advantage of the relatively calm conditions. swell picked up in the afternoon.

Fun dive at Point Lobos today with Raftingtigger.

The wave model showed a big swell today, and sure enough it was crashing over the Cannery Point rocks, but not too bad in the cove or boat ramp entry point.

It was pretty surgey, with a lot of sand stirred up, so the vis was 15+ once you got into about 50' of water. Any fish with an ounce of sense was tucked safely into a crevice, so there wasn't a lot to film. But we dig get buzzed by some tech divers on their skooters and a Lingcod swam out to get my attention. We found Hole in the wall coming and going, but didn't get to Lone Metridium.

The swell had picked up by the time we ended our dive. I thought I just might be able to surf back in & felt very sorry for the folks rocking and rolling near us in the Beach Hopper.

We skipped a second dive 'cause of the lack of fish & building swell.

68 feet max depth, 58 minutes, 49F.

Brrr...49F...that reminds me...while passing Del Monte on the way to Lobos I thought to myself "ha, ha, remember the time you forgot your drysuit undies and had to drive all the way back to the Aquarius to rent some?"

My next thought was "Wait...did I remember to get my undies out of the dryer?!?!?!"

I hopped off at Casa Verde & sure enough the weren't there! Continued to Aquarius & was back on the road with undies in 15 minutes.

Fun dive at Point Lobos today with Raftingtigger.

Definitely a MACRO type photo dive. Very different conditions from the day before (no swell, no surge, 40+ viz)

anenome.jpgOrange volcano sponge and yellow nudibrach.jpg

Dove the Breakwater today. Surge was fairly strong with 5-6' of viz.

-Adrian

Testing out some new gear at Breakwater on Saturday. Vis not spectacular about 15ft max (being generous) at the 5 gate but beyond that just pea soup. Very little surge. Heaps of nudis & larger fish.
Gen

Back
Top Bottom