Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lot's of interesting stuff at S. Monastery on Saturday. There were sea hares everywhere on the reef which was surprising because I haven't noticed any before. Also saw a couple of treefish and an electric ray. Viz was about 35ft. with a nice blue water color. A group of about four humpbacks cruised the beach and put on a twenty minute show for us before we even got in the water.

We also dove at North Monastery on Saturday Morning! First time at Monastery and conditions were perfect! It was awesome to see the humpbacks feed so close to the beach. Vis was 30+ feet farther out with great rock formations like lobos. saw some very large ling cod and a duel between 2 crabs and some rock fish. all in all a great day in monterey the worst part was walking up the steep beach with all your gear after the dive.

Newish diver here and not sure if this storm coming in is expected to have much effect on dive conditions. Some friends and I have had this Saturday booked for renting gear and doing our first dives sans-instructors or guides. We all dealt with some reasonable chop during our checkout dives, and have additional guided dives under our belts, though. Do you guys still dive in weather like this? Any clue what to expect, or locations better-suited for this weekend? Our ideal spot had been Lover's Cove #3 since that's what we're familiar with from checkout dives.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Newish diver here and not sure if this storm coming in is expected to have much effect on dive conditions. Some friends and I have had this Saturday booked for renting gear and doing our first dives sans-instructors or guides. We all dealt with some reasonable chop during our checkout dives, and have additional guided dives under our belts, though. Do you guys still dive in weather like this? Any clue what to expect, or locations better-suited for this weekend? Our ideal spot had been Lover's Cove #3 since that's what we're familiar with from checkout dives.

Thanks!

Check the wave model and weather conditions that the next poster gave you. If swell is over 10' or wind is over 15mph, think twice. If it's a little more than you'd like but looks diveable, work your way towards the Breakwater. The farther you get from Point Pinos, typically the less the conditions affect you. Above all, go and look but if you don't like what you say don't be afraid to call a dive, no matter how far you drove to get there. There's always the aquarium and there's always next time.

Last edited:
Joe said that the whales at one point were in the shallow area between the beach and kelp. What an amazing experience.

I watched 4 of them yesterday in the shallows between BW and Lover's. What an amazing site so close to shore!

On Saturday Beach Hopper took us to Stillwater Cove! Specifically, Fire Rock. 49-51 degrees depending upon whose computer you wanted to go by. A little surge and on the dark side with about 20-30 feet viz, tons of nudibranchs were out and on display (I am certain I've never seen that many on one dive, ever before).
Second dive was back in Monterey Bay at Metriduium mountain. Conditions were very similar, maybe a bit darker. Bulk of the metridiums were open though it was well after noon by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom