Monterey diving April 8 and 9?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

San Carlos Beach has been described as the most popular beach dive in America.
LOTs of divers, two dive shops within a block. There's a small kelp forest, and the
rocks along the breakwater house lots of critters. The Metridium Fields (big white
anemones) are cool.

Pt. Lobos always fills quickly.

Spyderdiver:
So you are saying I should just go rent a couple tanks then show up at the beach, how many divers are there normally? What are the dive conditions like at San Carlos beach, marine life, vis, kelp, ex? I’m starting to get concerned that I started planning this way to late.

Pt. Lobos is completely booked :11doh: any other suggestions in addition to San Carlos?

You should be able to find a buddy easily at San Carlos (a.k.a. breakwater).

If you don't want to do that, you can always rent-a-divemaster from most of the Monterey shops. I did it with Monterey Bay Dive Center when I first moved up here and was pleased. Something like $80 for 2 shore dives - good way to get oriented a bit to the area. You need to give them a couple days notice if you're going to do this. You could also go out a dive boat, which is what I usually do when I can't find a buddy.

There are a couple of charter boats that do half day or full day dives at the Pennicules off Pebble Beach golf corse. Might want to check them out. Watch out if you go to Monestary beach. The surf can be unforgiving. Thats why they call it the Monestary crawl. You will love it there trust me. Good Diving to you Later Qwayne

-Hijack warning-
Where is Fred, haven't seen him around and nobody has said a peep about him?

JustinW:
-Hijack warning-
Where is Fred, haven't seen him around and nobody has said a peep about him?

I love a good hijacking...

Me, Dannobee, DLNDavid and ScubaLaurel ran into him a few (6?) months ago. He asked if he could dive with us but never broke out his famous business card. I wanted to let him, just to see what all the fuss was about, but Laurel scared him off almost immediately. He was a bit creepy, but seemed frail enough that I felt we could get the best of him if he misbehaved underwater.

For those who don't know, Fred is a an older guy driving a small red pickup truck and wearing a scuba flag baseball cap who approaches people in the Monterey area and asks to dive with them. He supposedly also whips out a business card that says he's a "certified dive buddy" or something like that.

He's been accused by several people (all women?) of grabbing/groping them underwater, turning off their air and/or just being really creepy in general. I don't know whether any of this is true (other than there is a creepy guy that fits his description that asked to dive with my group).

D_O_H:
You should be able to find a buddy easily at San Carlos (a.k.a. breakwater).

If you don't want to do that, you can always rent-a-divemaster from most of the Monterey shops. I did it with Monterey Bay Dive Center when I first moved up here and was pleased. Something like $80 for 2 shore dives - good way to get oriented a bit to the area. You need to give them a couple days notice if you're going to do this. You could also go out a dive boat, which is what I usually do when I can't find a buddy.

I'm visiting from San Diego & diving with a dive guide from Monterey Bay Dive Center at 7am on Apr8 for $59/single tank dive. You're welcome to join me, will get some savings on the rate for 2 divers $50/dive. Sorry for the early start but had to get back to my non-diving family. Contact me if interested.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but the Sea Otter Classic bicycle race is in town as well as Olden Days in Pacific Grove. The area is going to have more traffic than usual.

JustinW:
It hasn't been mentioned yet but the Sea Otter Classic bicycle race is in town as well as Olden Days in Pacific Grove. The area is going to have more traffic than usual.
This weekend?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom