Montezuma's Revenge When Underwater ((What to Do?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underthedeepblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Basic question - may seem odd but scenario happened last week

Interested to hear what advanced divers/dm/instructors have to say

Diver in group has attack of Montezumas revenge on first dive with group of people unknown to him and a DM/Dive Leader. Twenty minutes into 50 - 70 foot dive he knows he has to *go* and won't make it to safety stop or boat and has to *go* underwater

What is the protocol/etiquette How do you slip away without alarming Dive Leader or do you just let it all hang loose and hang the embarassment?

Sorry if this is a Q that raises eyebrows or churns tummies but this is/was a real scenario

Last edited:
I'd guess that most experienced warm water divers (cold water is a wholly different story) have had it happen and snuck behind a coral head for the infamous "warhammer maneuver" (where does that term come from?).

Thanks

btw

What is the warhammer maneuver or am I being naive
ok the person was me and I managed to get to the safety stop and disappear behind boat but I told DM and everyone looked away and all was OK but I was mega embarased I amrelatively new to diving (50 dives)
Do peeps just take it in stride and forget about it or will it be all around the island by now??
lol
(Traveling solo)

I guess everyone gets a chuckle and the fish get fed.

Thanks

btw

What is the warhammer maneuver or am I being naive
ok the person was me and I managed to get to the safety stop and disappear behind boat but I told DM and everyone looked away and all was OK but I was mega embarased I amrelatively new to diving (50 dives)
Do peeps just take it in stride and forget about it or will it be all around the island by now??
lol
(Traveling solo)

Poor thing! :hugs:

But, um, do not google the warhammer maneuver unless you're ready for gross.

Hey, what can you do? It's a travel problem, and I'm sure you aren't the first and won't be the last. Just be glad you were not in a dry suit!

Once Montezuma makes itself known, it's out of your control. Anyone know the hand signal for this, BTW?

i had a REALLY close call with this once. blew off a little bit of deco and had to sprint in double 104s to a bathroom

Back
Top Bottom