Moosehead Lake Dive Report and Wreck Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmrobbins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Awesome diving on 8/30/14 up at Moosehead Lake in Greenville, ME. Here's short video of wreck dive I did w/ a buddy! Wreck was at about 40'. Water was pretty clear but murky and dark down there. Vis was 10-15' and more like 5' when sun when behind the clouds. Really glad we had a couple lights! Bottom around wreck is pretty mucky so don't go near or touch bottom if you plan to see anything. Water was 60F at bottom and around 72F surface. Was comfortable in 5mm wetsuit, gloves, hood, boots.

Dive took place on north side of Steamship Point where they used to launch and pull all of the steamships which used to run the lake. We saw what remains of a large boat launch further out from shore. It was not connected to shore since ice had done it's work over the years. Entirely submerged. The very end of the launch sat in about 20' and pilings holding it up where at 40'. Amazing to swim through/around. Wreck sat about 20' away.

Further up the lake in more open area vis was 25' easily. Lake bottom varies from muck, sand, and boulders and rocks. Moosehead offers lots of interesting dive spots seldom (if ever) explored! Scoped out several spots I will go back to check out next season!

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 05:46 PM ----------

Having found some more historical information on the area I dove, I've since learned this was actually the wreck of the SS Kineo. Tons of information about the area located here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.812186018801834.1073742016.527017737318665&type=3

I love diving those northern lakes....always find something.....I can't believe you had 60f at 40feet...I always seem to hit that cold themo at 25 0r 30ft

Those temps seem about right for Moosehead in late summer, below 40' is where the temp makes the biggest drop and the light starts to wain. Wind direction and speed make a huge difference in water temps there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom