Moped rentals...PLEASE DON'T do it....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live around the corner from the hospital on 11th and we are on a main drag (15th) so get lots of day traffic. I have my relatives so well trained that when we hear an ambulance go by, even THEY say "scooter accident".

I think the advice should be more along the lines of "unless you drive a motorbike frequently and have experience driving all over the world, don't rent a moped".

This is good advice by cerich. It's not the moped that in and of itself which is dangerous, it's people that have no respect for their limitations or skill level which are the more dangerous factor of the above story.

I feel horrible for the tragedy, however the blanket statement of "don't rent mopeds", doesn't exactly address the real issue. Having been on roads in most corners of the world and spending most weekends for the last 20 years on a motorcycle I feel pretty capable of renting a moped and being as safe as one can be. (TX rain go away the Ducati is very lonely in the garage and I want to ride)

Sorry, while the story is indeed sad; I firmly believe that this situation had more to do with experience than the moped.

I dont even like to have a rental car with all those scooters zipping around, and it is not just the tourists that worry me but also the many locals that drive the scooters as well.

gaffer

This is good advice by cerich. It's not the moped that in and of itself which is dangerous, it's people that have no respect for their limitations or skill level which are the more dangerous factor of the above story.

I feel horrible for the tragedy, however the blanket statement of "don't rent mopeds", doesn't exactly address the real issue. Having been on roads in most corners of the world and spending most weekends for the last 20 years on a motorcycle I feel pretty capable of renting a moped and being as safe as one can be. (TX rain go away the Ducati is very lonely in the garage and I want to ride)

Sorry, while the story is indeed sad; I firmly believe that this situation had more to do with experience than the moped.
Well, yes, but most folks don't have that experience. I think it's appropriate as a blanket statement; the exceptions know who they (you) are.

Old thread I know.

I would not rent a moped in Key West let alone a third world country. Yeah did it once in the Bahamas and condidered it in Mexico.

mk. Some places don't seem to hold life as dear as others.

Seems to me that each one of us should bear the weight of our own limitations and take the responsibility for the same.
I personally have never bungie jumped,voluntarily jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 3000 ft. or tried to ride a 2500 lb bull, but I will not ask that no one else do so.
There are alot of locals that feed their families and provide a service to tourist by renting scooters. While I extend my deep condolences to the family of the lady who lost her life, it was her choice to get on that bike.

Bosco

I've seen numerous crashes especially after it rains, some very slick roads downtown.
I have rented them, lately four wheels. Sorry to hear about this tragedy.

Seems to me that each one of us should bear the weight of our own limitations and take the responsibility for the same.
Sure, and everyone will even if they read some of this thread.

I personally have never bungie jumped,voluntarily jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 3000 ft. or tried to ride a 2500 lb bull, but I will not ask that no one else do so.
There are alot of locals that feed their families and provide a service to tourist by renting scooters. While I extend my deep condolences to the family of the lady who lost her life, it was her choice to get on that bike.
You are absolutely right, and we (some of us, anyway) are encouraging folks to make a different choice. There are also a lot of people who feed their families by... nah, I won't go there. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom