Moray ID help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supergaijin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all- a guest found and photographed this moray on one of our reefs here in the Maldives. i have never seen one like it.
Depth: 20m/65ft
Length: head was about the size of your little finger. 2013_Martin_261.jpg
Time: approx 4pm

My first reaction was it was a type of snake eel, the way it was coming out vertically from the sand. Looking at the image however, I reckon it's a type of eel- possibly a juvenile of.... something.

Any ideas?

Appreciated

Don't know about Pacific- the Maldives is in the Indian Ocean. Long way to swim from Belize :)

Thanks for the link though- very interesting. I've been on this same reef a few times now and it's not a big place. Strange that I've never seen any adults.

2012-11-29_056.jpg
Honeycomb morays we have, however the colourings and spot patterns are quite different it seems. Honeycombs are usually to be found here on strong current swept reefs. The reef where the small moray was found was a fair distance from its normal habitat- however fish do swim.

Does anyone have a pic of a juvenile Honeycomb? Or juvenile spotted moray?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom