More squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[video=youtube;dGEFIMOEOLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGEFIMOEOLs[/video]

On Monterey's fishermans wharf yesterday I saw recreational fisherman coming back from a boat trip each with a gunny sack of humboldt squid. The fishing boats a running recreational fishing trips for them which was news to me. I guess they are out there in large numbers. All the ones I have seen have been much smaller than their reported max size of 6ft long. I would be rather nevous seeing any of the big ones while out there diving.

Any one encounter any humboldt's alive and well while diving the area?

I noticed while going thru my latest photos

_WUF7779.jpg

Curious - is anyone making use of the Humboldt for either low rung human consumption, or using dead biomass to make fertilizer etc? The energetics to make such a large animal would hopefully make nice calamari steaks, or terrific garden fertilizer/animal feed.

X

Some people are probably eating them, I know a grad student who beat the seagulls to one when they had freshly beached. He planned to make calamari with it. Usually though if you find one it's long gone and stinky. Probably not a good idea to eat it.

One article here says the majority that beached in the early days were frozen and shipped off to schools w/ necropsy directions from Stanford's Hopkins Marine Station. Other than that the number of beachings has been declining, so it wouldn't be cost effective on a business scale.

Curious - is anyone making use of the Humboldt for either low rung human consumption, or using dead biomass to make fertilizer etc? The energetics to make such a large animal would hopefully make nice calamari steaks, or terrific garden fertilizer/animal feed.

X
the fisherman I saw hauling sacks full of them off the wharf were presumably going to eat them. I imagine they would be pefectly good to eat when caught fresh. You can go out on the commercial boats and likely get a good number of them
Monterey Whale Watching and Fishing Trips For Humboldt Squid

Apparently the majority of calamari steaks are humboldt squid. I've heard it's best from 3 to 8lbs squid. Older and larger squid apparently taste progressively saltier.

Any possibility of seeing these guys on a night dive at the break water? We'll be there tomorrow night.

Will do. We've already thumbed the Sat nite dive, we'll let the boat operator give us insight for Sunday. Appreciate the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom