More than "Advanced", but not really "Technical"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of this was ever about extending the dive time past NDL's. I see the opportunity to apply more informed ascent profiles to recreational diving as highly beneficial for the aggressive recreational diver.

I'm questioning the mandate that one cannot even begin this behavior without full tech gear once the redundant gas requirement is met. Applying a technical approach to using one's gas load would allow for the use of a properly sized pony/sling bottle for reserve gas. It would also require gas management to keep from ever using that reserve supply. Combined with controlled ascents, these are all valuable skills for the recreational diver. Such skills are not just tools of the tech world.

Like I said before, it could be done well or it could become a Pandora's Box, depending on the diver.

That "reserve" is what one plans for when going beyond recreational diving, i.e., incurring deco.

As soon as that happens, you need the redundancy of a second gas source - and not your buddy. If you think your buddy, then you are putting both of your lives in danger.

Get multideco and play with it -- $45 for a smart phone. It's worth it.

Do what you need to do for that time you have incurred a ceiling -- and a catastrophe happens.

:wavey: :sleepy:

Jax, I have several tech certifications and many sets of doubles. I'm looking at this the other way 'round. -diving my tech skills recreationally.

And that begs the question, can't one start by adding tech skills to a recreational base? Isn't that what Tech40 is really doing? Yes, it is a gateway course, but the same knowledge could easily be used to improve a recreational profile. So is it "No doubles, no Tech40"?

Jax, I have several tech certifications and many sets of doubles. I'm looking at this the other way 'round. -diving my tech skills recreationally.

And that begs the question, can't one start by adding tech skills to a recreational base? Isn't that what Tech40 is really doing? Yes, it is a gateway course, but the same knowledge could easily be used to improve a recreational profile. So is it "No doubles, no Tech40"?
You are not listening. Tech40 does not require doubles.

Reactions: Jax

:furious:

When did that change?

Well, Ross got $45 more . . . . because it IS worth it . . .

---------- Post added January 12th, 2014 at 05:25 AM ----------

I was writing in a general sense, not as "you" particularly.

-rhetorical question

While some instructors "require" doubles, because the instructor thinks the extra tank is that important, there are "next step after rec" courses that do not. Even Cavern can be taught with an H or Y valve.

But what is the point of these "next" courses? Solo - have a redundant gas source. Cavern: have redundancy.

A better question would be to ask what his point was. By stating it was rhetorical he already stated why.

(Although a close read of the posts leading up to his rhetorical question should answer that as well).

Since *all* (do any not?) of the classes after rec push redundancy, then perhaps the non-tech diver ought to pull him/herself up by her short hairs and figure out that there is a *reason* for it. By cavalierly deciding there IS such a thing as 'lite' deco, and that it IS acceptable to have an overhead without redundancy, the diver proves that s/he is not ready for the next step - which also requires and understanding of risk and risk management.

There is no such thing as a diver deciding for only him- or herself to incur deco. That decision immediately impacts other divers in the area, and the boat, and the first responders . . . to think otherwise is short-sighted and juvenile.

While some instructors "require" doubles, because the instructor thinks the extra tank is that important, there are "next step after rec" courses that do not. Even Cavern can be taught with an H or Y valve.

I 'demand' doubles/sidemount if the student intends to take Tec40 as their first step as a technical diver. If their intention is a more robust recreational skill-set I'll accept an adequately sized pony (AL40).

I talk to prospective students and we determine their goals. The Tec40 is flexible to meet a lot of goals.

I wouldn't accept a Tec40 student onto Tec45, if they had previously trained only with a single & pony. There'd be a 'make-up' session (4 dives min) at the very least to ensure ample equipment familiarity.

Back
Top Bottom