Mosquito Repellent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mediumone

Contributor
Reaction score
Consumer Reports has posted their results and recommendations on-line at no charge in response to the Zika virus and other nasty effects of mosquito bites. It can be found here:

Insect repellent Ratings

This should lay to rest some of the recent debate about ingredients, in particular Deet concentrations.

Oh wait. This is ScubaBoard --- should be worth 7 pages anyhow.

I am a Consumer Reports subscriber. It's possible the link I posted may not work for those of you who are not. If that's the case, I'm deeply sorry, but there's hope.

1) Google "Consumer Reports Mosquito Repellent".
2) Click on "Best Insect Repellent Buying Guide".
3) Scroll down and click on the red link: "For More Check our Insect Repellent Ratings".

The are undoubtedly countless ways to arrive at the page referenced, and the superior directions subsequently posted should be worth another 2 pages.

I am a Consumer Reports subscriber. It's possible the link I posted may not work for those of you who are not.
It works. So Picaridin 20% and Deet 30% are their top pics, with the latter being the best cost value. It's good to have good choices. Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus 30% is an also ran, huh?

It works. So Picaridin 20% and Deet 30% are their top pics, with the latter being the best cost value. It's good to have good choices. Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus 30% is an also ran, huh?

I use only 20% picaridin and treat my clothes before I go with pyrmithrin. I won't use Deet or any other oil based repellant. All you need is a small amount in contact with your dive gear to melt any plastic.

Can picaridin affect birds, fish, or other wildlife?
Picaridin is moderately toxic to fish. It may build up in the tissues of some fish. Green algae grown in water with picaridin did not grow as well as algae grown in water without picaridin. Picaridin is considered to be nontoxic to birds.

source: national pesticide information center, oregon state university. Picaridin General Fact Sheet

Too bad permethrin treated clothing wasn't included in the consumer reports ratings. I'd be curious to see how it stacks up.

i don't have a subscription to consumer reports, so i can't read it, but do they list any specific brand as being superior or is it any brand with at least those 20% and 30% concentrations?

i don't have a subscription to consumer reports, so i can't read it, but do they list any specific brand as being superior or is it any brand with at least those 20% and 30% concentrations?
Did you try the link? It opened for me, as mentioned above - and brands are mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom