Mosquitoes and insecticide availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, occasional shortages of repellent do happen as the stores have a hard time keeping up with the tourists who don't bring their own. I highly suggest a pump bottle/s of 40% DEET (do check since many stores sell 5% DEET which is useless)--common at Walmart. Bring it with you in checked baggage and if you don't need it, so good, costs just a few bucks.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

gopbroek, are we talking insecticide or repellent?

I would recommend that visitors NOT start applying insecticide at property they don't own without clearing it with the owner first.
Repellentl
Ok, that's different. You had said insecticide.
Up to several weeks back Cozumel was going thru a semi dry spell, until the tropical depression that later formed 'Bill' developed and dumped on the island. This has created a Mosquitoe hatch that while abating is still annoying. This has then caused depletion of stocks insecticide, at least as of several days back the market shelves are empty, and have been for several weeks.
If coming down in the near future it might be a good idea to bring your own, pump, not aresole.
So whats your objection to aerosol? It's legal on planes, easier to use - especially when reaching to spray your backside: Pack Safe – Aerosol mosquito, insect repellent

I always bring a can but seldom use any. I was down last month before the rains tho. I did warn my daughter before their recent cruise stop there as well as a Jamaican jungle trip.

I was under the impression that aerosol was not allowed. Granted per your link the FAA is OK with aerosol, but there is no guarantee the highly trained TSA agent hand searching your luggage will allow it. To be sure I would use pump containers.

They had a bunch of regular "off" spray at mega when we were there for the invasion a few weeks ago. I think it was buy 2 bottles get 1 free. I also recall seeing what I assumed was some type of commercial or government spraying truck one of the days we were there. Either that or the truck was just totally on fire and loaded down with teenagers.

I'm from Florida. We often joke that the mosquito is our state bird. After a week in Mexico I'm not sure I'll ever make that joke again. Those skeets were just absolutely insane down in Cozumel.

Although nothing beats DEET, IMO ("Better living through chemistry"), burning an old fashioned mosquito coil on your table can do a surprisingly good job and make a dinner in the El Pique "garden" more enjoyable.
I do not like those burning coils around me while I am eating. It ruins the taste of a good meal for me.

I was under the impression that aerosol was not allowed. Granted per your link the FAA is OK with aerosol, but there is no guarantee the highly trained TSA agent hand searching your luggage will allow it. To be sure I would use pump containers.
If you prefer the pump, fine. They took the bad propellents out of aeresols in the 80s I think.

The TSA Blog: TSA Travel Tips Tuesday - Aerosols
TSA has determined that liquids, aerosols and gels, in limited quantities, are safe to bring aboard aircraft. So it is important to remember that all liquid, aerosol and gel items must be stored in containers 3.4 ounce or smaller. All of the 3.4 ounce containers must fit in a sealed 1-quart, clear plastic, zip-top bag, and only one plastic zip-top bag is permitted per passenger inside carry-on baggage.

If you want to travel with your full-size aerosol containers of anti-perspirant, hairspray, suntan lotion, shaving cream, and hair mousse, you can do so by packing them in your checked baggage. That way, you’ll be sure to have your favorite toiletries with you when you arrive at your destination.

I hate it that I can't fly with my Bear spray but insect repellents are fine. Not insecticides as you initially said, but DEET is ok.

The TSA Blog: TSA Travel Tips Tuesday - Aerosols
Insect Repellents – They arepermitted in your carry-on bags and checked baggage. The liquid limits apply when carrying these in your carry-on bags.

Animal Repellants - You can bring chemical repellants in your checked luggage if the volume is less than four ounces and less than 2% active ingredient of either CS or CN. Most bear repellants exceed these limitations. We suggest that you buy these items once you arrive at your destination and leave them behind when your trip is over.

Insecticides – Ant killers, cockroach killers, spider killers, etc., are prohibited from both carry-on and checked baggage.

Much better to just use a good cigar to keep them away....
Don't sit next to me!

---------- Post added July 9th, 2015 at 08:45 AM ----------

Dengue is supposed to be terribly painful; were you in Cozumel when you contracted it?
I have gotten dengue twice, both on solo trips. The first time in 2003. I was sick but stayed with friends to recover. The 2nd time was hemorrhagic dengue fever. I was sore, had a high temp and was totally miserable. Stayed at the hospital on 5. Dr Piccillo was a lifesaver. The hospital was clean, modern and the care was excellent. I was grateful to my friends. I had to pay the hospital bill in full before I left, they took credit cards. It was just under $7500 for 5 days. My insurance company reimbursed for most of it after much nagging on my part.

Back
Top Bottom