Most Versatile Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namabiru

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay scuba gurus, here's a new topic for debate. Let's say, as a diver, you're mostly doing tropical/temperate dives to see the pretty fish. But you think you *might* want to get into deep/wreck diving later on (so think towards using nitrox), and possibly cold water or even ice diving if you're ever foolish enough to move where there's ice. :wink: You want a regulator that is going to work well in the temperates/tropics and then as a good "entry level reg" when you move into deep/wrecks, but is also okay for cold water/ice diving--it would serve the purpose until you were able to save money to purchase a regulator better suited for your deep expeditions (or rather you had a better idea of what you wanted through gaining diving experience)

What, would you argue, is the most versatile regulator on the market? For now, price isn't a factor.

I ask this question because I'm looking to get into a regulator, and that's kind of my situation right now. I'm mostly diving tropical/temperate, but eventually want to take a wreck diving course and will probably explore using nitrox. I've gotten sales catalogs from Scuba Pro thus far, and have requested more to peruse. I have used an Aqualung Legend (I think it was) and really liked it. Plus I was secretly hoping they'd run their "buy a reg, get an octo" promotion again next year.

I really like the Scubapro MK 17 with a G250 or S600 second stage. It offers excellent performance, low work of breathing, and is well suited to the demands of technical and extreme cold water diving. Plus it is lighter, more compact and travel freindly than other regulators with the same level of capability. Scubapro also has a worldwide dealer network so getting service is possible in some of the more remoter parts of the globe where you'd be out of luck with other brands.

namabiru:
Okay scuba gurus, here's a new topic for debate. Let's say, as a diver, you're mostly doing tropical/temperate dives to see the pretty fish. But you think you *might* want to get into deep/wreck diving later on (so think towards using nitrox), and possibly cold water or even ice diving if you're ever foolish enough to move where there's ice. :wink: You want a regulator that is going to work well in the temperates/tropics and then as a good "entry level reg" when you move into deep/wrecks, but is also okay for cold water/ice diving--it would serve the purpose until you were able to save money to purchase a regulator better suited for your deep expeditions (or rather you had a better idea of what you wanted through gaining diving experience)

What, would you argue, is the most versatile regulator on the market? For now, price isn't a factor.

I ask this question because I'm looking to get into a regulator, and that's kind of my situation right now. I'm mostly diving tropical/temperate, but eventually want to take a wreck diving course and will probably explore using nitrox. I've gotten sales catalogs from Scuba Pro thus far, and have requested more to peruse. I have used an Aqualung Legend (I think it was) and really liked it. Plus I was secretly hoping they'd run their "buy a reg, get an octo" promotion again next year.

Here's a few that I own and use-

Zeagle DS4 (or the equivalent current model)
Zeagle Flathead 6
Dive Rite RG2500 (with ICE kit)

I have a sherwood blizzard and I like everything but the dry air bleed. If you get into more technical applications, the constant bleed limits where you would want to use it.

The dry air bleed makes sherwoods not that great for eventual growth into a tec diver. I like the diverite regs, just got a new hurricaine for myself. The salvo and aeris regs are also pretty nice with the budget nod going to salvo.

Brent

Wow, no one has mentioned Apeks. They are by far the top choice of technical divers. Not the only choice by far, but the most common one. If you get the sealed version it is a great cold water reg from what I hear. I havn't heard much bad about Apeks. I would also recommend Atomic, but if you do think you might go the very cold water route the sealed Apeks is better for that.

~Jess

That is easy, the Phoenix converted Royal Aqua Master. Like all double hose regulators it does not freeze, the mechanicals are inside the regulator where they are also protected from salt water and other contaminants. They are simple and have few O rings or seals to fail. It can also operate up to three HP devices and four or more LP devices. Rock solid reliable and low maintenance and with modern performance, it is clearly the most versatile. Oh, and it is made from metals so thrity years from now it will still be here.

DSCF0166.jpg

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

N, back to the future

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom