"Mount Everest" of scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say so, since US nuclear subs, Seawolf Class, has a crush depth of 730 meters. :wink:[/QUOTE

LOL, according to who? Too funny. And it only goes 40knots too right? :rofl3:

Ah...I knew there was an eye roller somewhere. Several websites show an operating depth of 1600' with a NED of 730 meters.....Please share your knowledge and/or let us know your source(s) so that, we too, can be educated on the abilities of the Seawolf class subs. And I mean that in a sincere way.

Okay then, here's your "Mount Everest" using an ADS: The infamous wreck and appalling tragedy of the Doña Paz at a charted depth of around 545 meters.

I don't think doing a wreck penetration wearing a JIM Suit is anything I'd want to consider. Should we stipulate "untethered" into the equation. :D

I don't think doing a wreck penetration wearing a JIM Suit is anything I'd want to consider. Should we stipulate "untethered" into the equation. :D

Any objections to just limiting to open circuit, SCR, and CCR diving?

Mike Zee and Terrence Tysall dove the Fitz in 1995, the only confirmed scuba divers to do so. They did it on open circuit and you can read about it here. It has since been protected and is off limits for diving.

Nice read. OC? Manly men among manly men, full of manly manhood:shocked2: I'm impressed.

Guy

That was me and I'll take the correction, after all I spend my time at or below sealevel. I was trying to remember a few talks over the years at the Explorers club in NYC with people talking about K2/Everest, maybe I had too much of the meet & greet cocktail hour before hand or I'm just getting old.

No biggie. Now Lhotse (4th highest) is at the other end of the SE Ridge from Everest, and it's also a harder climb. And Makalu (5th highest) is a few miles away from Everest. But adventure tourists aren't interested in either, because there's not the same cachet as 'highest'.

Guy

Any objections to just limiting to open circuit, SCR, and CCR diving?

None from me. :) Depth, wreck position, current, complexity, significant history? Any others?

I don't know about you guys, but I love diving a deep wreck with complex penetration, but don't believe it's right to desecrate a wreck where there has been a notable loss of life. When I was younger I never thought about it too much, but since I've gotten older... What's your opinion on this?

To climb a big mountain like Everest, you need to have a huge support crew and spend a lot of time at the different base camps acclimating, etc. IMO the Everest of diving is more akin to those deep saturation divers that have to spend weeks in a little chamber before, during, and after their dives.

No you don't. Messner made the first solo ascent of Everest way back in 1980 - no support team, no oxygen etc. It has since been climbed from base to summit and back in a single 24 hour push.

These alpine style ascents set the bar, it was what people should be aspiring to do - not just jumping on a big, commercial expedition that then leaves all the rubbish and paraphernalia behind.

None from me. :) Depth, wreck position, current, complexity, significant history? Any others?

I don't know about you guys, but I love diving a deep wreck with complex penetration, but don't believe it's right to desecrate a wreck where there has been a notable loss of life. When I was younger I never thought about it too much, but since I've gotten older... What's your opinion on this?

I like all of those parameters. With regard to penetration diving, mine has been limited compared to most. However, I'm very fascinated and intrigued with wrecks and read about them when I can. In fact, the more history/mystery of a wreck, the better. I am in agreement with your stance on not desecrating a wreck involving notable loss of life. Lots of books on WWII naval battles (as well as other tragedies at sea) have definitely solidified my stance on this. Working on a trip to Chuuk next year and hope it all comes together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom