Mount storm wv

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Floatingtheflats

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have a good map of mount storm wv? I have only found a crappy one on line; that is hard to read.

You must mean the first one below?

The only other map I've seen is the second one below -- like it says, it doesn't have all the features, but the layout and depths are pretty accurate... and exploring is fun too! :D

Attachments

• mt-storm75-0.jpg
    mt-storm75-0.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 97
  • mtstormdiving.jpg
    mtstormdiving.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 96
Thanks for the info. These are the two maps I have found. I was up there a few weeks ago and it was nice. I am planning on going back up there in november and I was looking for things that I might have missed last time. Do you know of any cool hidden things to see or do?

Do you know of any cool hidden things to see or do?

I've only been there once for two dives with my son, on Labor Day Saturday.

There's a line going off NW from the 50-ft platform, not marked on the second map. Seem to remember it was along that line that there's a wire metal animal sculpture -- horse or reindeer? -- a couple feet high. Not something your'e expecting to come across there!

There was also a side line going off the mid-point of that line to the west (as far as I can remember), leading off to a weird plant with flowers on it. Must have been artificial or recently placed there (since it wasn't rotted away), but I couldn't tell for sure.

There are several folks from Western Maryland who dive there regularly, and Jim Lapenta is an instructor from PA who takes his classes down there. They'd be able to give you more advice.

Anyone ever dive down to the west along the dam?

You must mean the first one below?

The only other map I've seen is the second one below -- like it says, it doesn't have all the features, but the layout and depths are pretty accurate... and exploring is fun too! :D

The first map (black and white) is very old and the bearings do not reflect what is there now. To my knowledge no body has ever found the mythical quarry equipment.

As you said the second map is pretty accurate. Just need to add some bearings to it.

Bearings aren't vital, since most of the time you're following the lines.

Of course, you need to know which line you're following, and there are lines that aren't marked on this map. So at least rough bearings would be useful.

Otherwise, you just need to have a rough orientation to the underwater topography (which way is "downhill," and therefore which way you're heading), and watch your depth to check on approximately where you are.

So what else is down there?

Anyone ever dive down to the west along the dam?

Yes, we head that way quite a bit. One thing about the rocks somtimes it can get murky because of all the silt on the rocks getting moved around. There are some really large rocks in low vis so you need to watch your head.

Well, there is always Santa Claus. He resides down at the bottom beside the 90 foot platform.

One thing about the rocks somtimes it can get murky because of all the silt on the rocks getting moved around. There are some really large rocks in low vis so you need to watch your head.

The farthest we went was to the 50-ft platform. We did see the line heading seemingly straight down into nothingness to the deep platform, but it was so murky that we didn't go down there -- even though we both had dive lights. Santa Claus might be worth the trip, though.

There's silt everywhere, of course, so you have to watch your bouyancy and how you're kicking. More silt apparently suspended as you go deeper, causing less and less visibility -- I suppose because that's where it all settles.

You mean rocks that are part of the dam itself? Worth heading down along the dam? Do fish tend to congregate there?

I've been wanting to head up there again with the family before winter sets in. What's the water temp like now? Air temp? With as thin a suit as is appropriate for the warm water, how do you keep warm during the surface interval?

There's silt everywhere, of course, so you have to watch your bouyancy and how you're kicking. More silt apparently suspended as you go deeper, causing less and less visibility -- I suppose because that's where it all settles.

You mean rocks that are part of the dam itself? Worth heading down along the dam? Do fish tend to congregate there?

I've been wanting to head up there again with the family before winter sets in. What's the water temp like now? Air temp? With as thin a suit as is appropriate for the warm water, how do you keep warm during the surface interval?

The vis can be funny at Storm, we tend to stay away from the diving area (All the lines and platforms) this is where is really gets silted out, especially when all the check out dives are going on. Sometimes the bottom is clear and sometimes there is a bunch of junk in suspension.

Yes the rocks are part of the dam. Not a whole lot of fish there. Mainly all the fish congregate around the 20 foot platforms, especially when divers are there, because they get a lot of hot dogs in that area. The best way to start exploring the dam is too follow a depth contour, say 30 feet out to the rocks, you can then pick a depth along the rocks and check it out.

Last weekend the water temp was 72 degrees, air temp was in 80s on Sunday. We are now diving our dry suits again, because of the surface intervals. Tomorrow the air temp will be in the 60s and the dry suit will feel real good. We have in the past just stayed in the water, get out and change the tank real quick, than back into the warm water to do the rest of the SI.

The line off of the 50 foot platform, on the 4x4 post does go to the 90 foot platform, and it is a pretty much vertical drop. It can and usually does dark very quick and it can be a spooky drop down. If you hit the bottom, land on the platform, or descend fins down you can silt it out real quick and then you will need that compass and some bearings.

For me the too most important bearings at Storm are 60 and 240. 60 degrees will bring you back to the wall if you are deep and to shallow water once you ascend along the wall. 240 will take you deeper and away from the shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom