mounted my SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NateS

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's how I mounted my Dive Alert SMB and finger spool on an xDeep Ghost:

mEq1R70.jpg

EJ8I5Vq.jpg

The spool is attached to the SMB and a dog bone boltsnap connects the spool to a D ring where the crotch strap attaches. Two bungees between the backplate and bladder keep the SMB from being floppy. Did 3 dives with this and didn't even notice the SMB was there. Initially I made a mistake by putting the bungee over the bolt snap, which resulted in a tangle trying to detach the SMB for deployment.

Does this setup look OK? I know the boltsnap could release by being pressed against the spool, but I wanted to keep the spool and SMB attached while spooled. At least the boltsnap is wrapped twice with the string and the button faces the string.

Also, here's how I attached a LifeLine, on the other side:

TQuwLMK.jpg

The LifeLine is even smaller than the SMB so this seemed like a good place. Plus with the Ghost there are no pockets, so there aren't a lot of options! I first put a D ring where the lower end of the shoulder strap attaches to the backplate, then the LifeLine is clipped to that, using its built-in back clip (the D ring and clip are underneath in this pic so can't be seen). I used a single bungee to keep it from flopping, which is also nice because once you get off one bungee loop, the other loop goes slack. Getting the clip off is a bit tricky, but my wife did it first try. That was without gloves, with gloves may be hard. Who wants to dive where gloves are required, anyway? :)

I cant see the pics on this computer but anything that connects to the crotch strap and than has a bungy from it to he back plate does not sound optimal. What do you think about getting a butt plate to hang form the bottom of the back plate. dive rite makes them,,,, I use the rectangular one. it has devices to hang stuff on it. they would hang along side your hips out of the way.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Tech Buttplate

it works great.

The bungee holds the SMB to the backplate. The SMB is connected to the finger spool via the spool's line, then the spool is clipped to a D ring on the crotch strap. Here's another look at the crotch strap D ring:

ByirwjE.jpg

The stock Ghost has a triglide for the crotch strap, I just added a D ring to it. The strap you see going through the D ring is just extra length from the chest strap.

The butt plate is an interesting way to have more space to add things. I've also seen some mesh bags for mounting to the bottom of the backplate. They seem like reasonable solutions, though if I can get things to fit without that them that'd be even simpler.

I would get the smb off the crotch strap and find a place on either the backplate or waist strap to clip it to.

Your little sailor will appreciate the move. :d

Shore diving it's clipped off to the butt d ring. Boat diving it's clipped off to the right chest d ring for entry and transferred to the butt d ring during the descent.

Back
Top Bottom