Moustaches and mask flooding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive buddy shaves a strip under his nose. Another guy I dive with uses wax on it.

Is that moustache wax or do I need to hold a burning candle over his face? :devil:

I have a beard and full moustache. I do not do any of the above. I just put up with frequent mask clearing at the shallower depths. At the deeper depths it is not even noticeable. ( no, I don't have mask squeeze problems)

My dad has a "Magnum PI" stash... It took him a while but he found a mask that worked.

I have a beard and full moustache. I do not do any of the above. I just put up with frequent mask clearing at the shallower depths. At the deeper depths it is not even noticeable. ( no, I don't have mask squeeze problems)

+1

I used to shave a small bit off under my nose but did not make much difference.

Small drop of water in my mask never bothers me

Case in point from this past weekend, even...

We headed out EARLY Sat. morning (3 am) on a dive trip. I mention this only to point out that I didn't shave that morning. I have a mustache, but I routinely trim under my nose as others have described to provide a good seal. We dove Sat and even a night dive Sat evening and I had no problems. However, we got up on Sunday morning and dove, but again I didn't shave. Hmmm... I was having some mask sealing problems. It wasn't bad, but my mask leaked and I had to clear from time to time. I thought that was funny, because that mask had never leaked before.

It wasn't until I was on my way home that it hit me...the leaking was related to the fact that I hadn't trimmed that area under my lip in a few days. I'll try not to make that mistake again.

I have a bushy moustache and do not have any problems with leakage. Considering that I routinely dive at all sorts of odd angles in caves and wrecks and like to occasionally dive on my back looking up, I haven't found any angle or depth that creates a leakage problem. Finding a properly fitting mask is the solution to potential leak problems, and probably more important for people with facial hair. If your husband can keep a mask on his face without using the strap just by inhaling, he probably has a winner. I've had really good luck with Atomic masks (both subframe and frameless).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom