Mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keller34

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I tried these new mouthpieces and while they were fine on surface and about 25ft down I found that they are way too big and cause me to gag, cough, and puke(go ahead and laugh, my son did) when at 60-90ft ( had to try it 2x to make sure it was not a fluke). SO rather than keep them I want to find a good one to replace them with. I was looking at quite a few but wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to solve it.

The mouthpieces I bought were the twin-bite one for about $5.

I thought it was funny watching him try to get out of the way of the floating chunks...lol

Try maybe a smaller mouthpiece? I have an unusually sensitive gag reflex also,.... especially on my rebreather. One thing I tried was a Sea Cure mouth piece, but had to change because, even though it can be trimmed to whatever size & shape you want (since it is moldable), the plastic tends to harden over time. This caused leaking past the breathing orifice. Anymore, I use Comfortbite or similar mouthpiece. It is small, short & the bridge in the back locks it into my teeth.

I was looking at the Comfortbite. The other ones I have I have to bite down a little more than usual. How much do you need to bite down on the Comfortbite?

Comfortbite but make sure you get a real Aqualung one and not one of the copies most of which are far too flimsy.

Alright then, I will be ordering them tomorrow. Thanks for the copy issues heads up.

I was looking at the Comfortbite. . . . How much do you need to bite down on the Comfortbite?
As Tammy noted, 'not at all'! It stays in place with virtually no tension from my jaw. The Comfo-Bite is, as the name implies, the most comfortable mouthpieces I have ever used. Most mouthpieces are too flexible / flimsy and I find myself biting down on them a bit as a result. But, the Comfo-Bite literally hangs comfortably in my mouth - I can keep it in place with a tiny bit of tension from my tongue on the cross-bridge. I recommend that mouthpiece to all of my students.

Early in diving, I replaced my original Zeagle mouthpiece with a SeaCure. I trimmed it to avoid stimulating a gag reflex, and used it for almost two years, and really liked the secure feeling that it provided. During which time I changed my regulator to a long hose / bungeed necklace alternate configuration. I initially kept the SeaCure on my primary second stage, but wondered what would happen in a real OOA - I would be donating a second stage with a mouthpiece contoured to fit my mouth. I bought a set of Apeks regs for doubles and found I liked the Comfo-Bites so much that I replaced the SeaCure on my single cylinder reg - which I thought fitted me perfectly at the time - with a Comfo-Bite. From that point, I also replaced all the mouthpieces on every regulator second stage with a Comfo-Bite.

I kept the SeaCure in my dive box, though. A couple of years later, I pulled it out, and put it in my mouth just to see if I still liked it - I immediately gagged! I cannot understand how I ever used it to begin with.

Make certain you get a real (Aqua Lung / Apeks) Comfo-Bite. There are some knock-offs out there with very similar names (Comfort Bite Mouth Piece with Roof of Mouth Bridge and - Comfort Products : House of Scuba) but they are nothing like the real one.

I recently switched from an original AL comfortbite mouth piece to a Seacure. I like the Seacure better. I can easily rest it in my teeth as it creates a channel for my upper teeth. I also found that I can move my jaw better to equalize with the Seacure over the Comfortbite. The bridge on the Comfortbite always got in the way of my tongue which also restricted my jaw movement.

You can trim the back tabs on most of the moldable mouthpieces to reduce or eliminate the gag reflex.

Basically, mouthpieces are a very personal choice. What works for me may not work for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom