Moving the Suunto SK-7 from a hosed console to wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gNats

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hello,

I've recently purchased the DSS wrist mounting system for my SK-7 compass.

The compass is currently located on my air integrated Cobra hose. Looks really pretty, but I need to move the compass to my wrist so I can actually navigate!

I've been able to remove the rotating bezel and friction ring (as one unit) and now I am trying to pry the "brittle and fragile" liquid filled housing out of the console unit and EEEP. It's very very difficult.

Also, much to my chagrin, it almost appears as if I have to put this empty console unit back on my computer hose, because the compass unit "closes off" the computer unit.

Was this a good idea, but I am using the technology? I know I could have bought the computer on the hose without the compass and the housing would have been closed and appropriate.

can someone please help me understand if I should continue or abandon ship and return all to normal?

thank you,

gNats

I'd get another SK-7 and dive with two!

Sort of serious. That is a real nice compass in that mount.

hello,

The compass is currently located on my air integrated Cobra hose. Looks really pretty, but I need to move the compass to my wrist so I can actually navigate!

I've been able to remove the rotating bezel and friction ring (as one unit) and now I am trying to pry the "brittle and fragile" liquid filled housing out of the console unit and EEEP. It's very very difficult.

Also, much to my chagrin, it almost appears as if I have to put this empty console unit back on my computer hose, because the compass unit "closes off" the computer unit.

Was this a good idea, but I am using the technology? I know I could have bought the computer on the hose without the compass and the housing would have been closed and appropriate.

can someone please help me understand if I should continue or abandon ship and return all to normal?

thank you,

gNats

Hey gNats:

Here is a small link to a post that I made on TDS.

If you can't get there, here is the post minus pictures:

"...I bought the cheapest Suunto SK7 and had a boot that I got from Tobin (via internet) last year. I used a razor knife to carefully split the plastic to about 1/8" from the compass. I then just pulled the last piece apart, disassembled, and reassembled it into something functional. All less than 70 USD.

I got kinda fancy and heat shrinked the free ends together. No one sees it but me, and I know I did a good job. I did goof up the first time and had the lubber line skewed. Eh, easy fix."

As far as the backing, you should have gotten a plastic backing with your computer in case you didn't get a compass. If you don't still have it, I would go to a[n] LDS and see if they have an extra one. Simple enough.

I hope this helps and good luck.

With kind regards,
Thomas

I have two DSS mounts for my compass and computer. Did you try a dip in hot water to get things moving?

1) Remove the compass mount from the computer mount - it comes apart via a couple of screws. Basically disassemble the complete computer and compass mount.

2) The end piece for the computer mount can be purchased separately.

3) Through the compass/compass mount in some hot water.

4) Disassemble compass from the mount.

Call me crazy but I like the compass mounted to a console a lot better than on the wrist or forearm when it comes to navigation. I have a Sherwood Wisdom 2 console AI computer with compass and I have a UWATEC compass in DSS mount (should have gotten Suunto but that's another story) for when I use with my Aeris wireless AI computer. I can navigate a lot better and shoot straighter, more accurate azimuths with my console mount compass than with the wrist mount compass.

I can't get the compass (in my drysuit) out to where it's perfectly oriented wrt my body for accurate headings, but I know what the deviation is, and it's consistent, and I have no problems navigating (no matter what Peter says).

The one thing to be EXTREMELY careful of when you remove the compass module from the original housing is not to scratch the plastic. If you do, the compass will eventually fail where the scratch is. I've lost two so far that way.

hello,

thank you,

gNats

I'm trying to do the same thing. How did you remove the bezel? I can't get the compass out of the housing at all. What should I be looking for?

Thanks.

Call me crazy but I like the compass mounted to a console a lot better than on the wrist or forearm when it comes to navigation. I have a Sherwood Wisdom 2 console AI computer with compass and I have a UWATEC compass in DSS mount (should have gotten Suunto but that's another story) for when I use with my Aeris wireless AI computer. I can navigate a lot better and shoot straighter, more accurate azimuths with my console mount compass than with the wrist mount compass.

I agree. Compass mounted either on a console or a retractor is going to be more accurate than on a wrist. To use a compass on a wrist you have to make sure the angle of your elbow is always the same otherwise the lubber line is going to be all over the place.

Adam

I agree. Compass mounted either on a console or a retractor is going to be more accurate than on a wrist. To use a compass on a wrist you have to make sure the angle of your elbow is always the same otherwise the lubber line is going to be all over the place.

Adam

It all depends on your perspective and how you hold the compass. So, on TerraFirma, we are usually vertical when using a compass. We can hold the compass at gut level and shoot for a general direction or bring the compass to our eye, sight a target, and then obtain an azimuth. Either method will get you where you want to go and the body position is pretty much the same every time you point or sight your compass (provided you don't switch the way you initially employed your compass).

Now we're in the water. We should be horizontal in the water column and we decide to use our compass. How long is your hose? You bring your console mounted compass up and into your field of view. Can you? Do you grab it with your other hand to steady it or just hold it with your left hand and guesstimate the compass reading? If you have the compass in your left hand and you decide to set the bezel, think of the arc you make (left to right) from the unsteadiness.

To reliably use the wrist mounted compass, I actually place mine mid lower left arm (so in between the wrist and elbow). I am horizontal in the water, I stretch my right arm out to the general direction I want to go. Now I take my left arm, straighten it out too and then bend my left elbow so that my left hand is grasping my lower right bicep muscle near the bend of my arm. The compass is in front of me and slightly lower than my head. My arms are rigidly locked in a number four shape (the one with the open top not the pointy top). The lubber line points specifically in the direction I want to swim and is directly under my eyes. I turn the the bezel with my right hand so the index pointer is surrounding the North end of the arrow. I recheck my reading by reforming my arms in the number four position.

I make note of the reading and quickly ask myself, "Does that reading make sense?" If it does, as in I swam for xy kicks and in the direction of 30 degrees. Now I want to make a right turn and and swim for yz kicks in the perpendicular direction. My new heading should be 120 degrees (30 degrees plus 90 degree change). If it's not, then I need to do something about it. Similarly, if I swam out in a direction of 135 degrees and now I need to swim the reciprocal direction back and my new heading is 270 degrees, then something is definitely wrong (the new heading should be 135 degrees plus 180 degrees to equal 315 degrees).

So, using a wrist or arm mounted compass should yield a steady and repeatable heading. The tricks to good navigation are uniformity and stability in obtaining readings, practice, and basic math skills.

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom