Moving to buffalo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Algae

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm moving from Southern CA to Buffalo the first week of Jan and want to know about the diving in the Buffalo region.

Where are the dive spot? Good links to dive information? What are conditions like? Is it dry suit recommended or would a good solid 7MM work?

I don't suspect I'll test the water till the snow melts but just trying to get a sense of what is available.

Thanks!

there are plenty of dive shops around to choose from, but your diving will likely be limited to small ponds, lakes, rivers... or although quite a hike, the great lakes.

Lake Erie and the 1,000 Islands region are quite close and awesome diving.

Buffalo has great food and some nasty winters! For some great diving make a trip to the Thousand Islands region. Lots of wrecks and great vis due to the zebra mussels.

Okay, new guy here on the board, but a seasoned diver, and resident here in Buffalo. I don't like the things that have been said - if you aren't from here, don't speculate!!!! What has been said is :bs:

If you own a boat, or get out on charters, the diving is outstanding. Keep in mind, the Great Lakes served as the predominant means of moving anything in early times, and Buffalo was a major hub. Wrecks abound!!!!! Drift diving the Niagara River is also a good time, and at night it gets really wild when the Muskie is about. Lake Ontario offers more diving, but deep, and trips to the Thousand Islands yields incredible diving opportunities.

I've dove here for years with 1/4" wet suite, and it is fine if that is what you have (38 degrees at 115' in Erie in July). The thermocline is a bear! I dive dry now, but only because it was the best option for me when I had to get a new suite.

Clarity here depends on the wind, and can be 0 or 50+ feet. Algae blooms murk it up, but the zebra mussels have done wonders to clean up what was terrable 30+ years ago.

WELCOME TO BUFFALO!

P.S. - you will know know what real chicken wings taste like. :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom