Moving to Minneapolis - Where can I dive nearby?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ciedd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi,

i currently live in Japan and dive here and around Asia quite a bit. i will be moving to Minneapolis next year. i know that i can dive around Lake Michigan but what type of diving is close to Minneapolis?
perhaps a 2-3 hour drive from Minneapolis?

i am a dm as well as trimix certifed and have no issues with a drysuit (i expect it to be cold there) as there is a lot of cold water diving in Japan.

thanks

hi,

Thanks for the tips. Will take a look.

hi,

i currently live in Japan and dive here and around Asia quite a bit. i will be moving to Minneapolis next year. i know that i can dive around Lake Michigan but what type of diving is close to Minneapolis?
perhaps a 2-3 hour drive from Minneapolis?

i am a dm as well as trimix certifed and have no issues with a drysuit (i expect it to be cold there) as there is a lot of cold water diving in Japan.

thanks

Wow ... if you're already used to cold water, have the drysuit and are trimix certified, you're set! You are moving close to some of the best wreck diving in the world! Be sure and get out onto Lake Michigan and Lake Superior next year. I don't think you'll be sorry! I'd suggest you get hooked up with some local tech divers once you arrive. I'm sure there has to be a group of local tech divers in the Minneapolis area. If you haven't already, also post on Deco Stop.

You might also want to try some ice diving this winter.

Good luck!

Wazee is about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. from Mpls. Good place to get wet. Also the Crosby area has many flooded open pit mines for diving. Wazee is an old mine also.
Lake Superior is about 3hrs, another hour up the lake you can shore dive the Maderia (shipwreck) I was just there this past Saturday. Lake Superior has many wrecks, but most need a boat. Not a problem as there are several charters available.
Closer to town, there is Square Lake about 45 miles east near Stillwater. Popular place for area shops doing training dives.
There are hundreds of lakes in the area. But most are not dove due to poor vis. Others do see some divers from time to time.
Al

Going Under Dive Shop--- Scuba Minnesota - Going Under Dive Center Scuba and Snorkel Maple Grove is a super dive shop. They can help you out, and I am pretty sure they also do trips. Hope this helps. Maggi

tell Ron Bob and Maggi said HI! ( my husband was trained on rebreathers by Ron Benson from this shop- they teach and do everything!)

thanks all. sounds like I will not be wanting for dive spots around the area and there seems to be a lot of tech diving around as well. good stuff!!! thanks.

i also plan on doing some ice diving this winter - at the base of mt. fuji there are several large lakes that freeze over at the the end of November. i will be doing some ice dive there. should be good fun.

while i do dive in cold waters it is only out of necessity as I can't get to the warm spots in the winter easily around here.
What are the water temps in the summer? will a 5mm cut it?

thanks.

while i do dive in cold waters it is only out of necessity as I can't get to the warm spots in the winter easily around here.
What are the water temps in the summer? will a 5mm cut it?

thanks.

Depends upon how deep you want to dive. Even this time of year when the waters are at their warmest anything below 70' or so requires a drysuit due to suit compression and temps in the 40s. In the 100-130' range the temps are just about always in the low 40s to upper 30s.

Depends upon how deep you want to dive. Even this time of year when the waters are at their warmest anything below 70' or so requires a drysuit due to suit compression and temps in the 40s. In the 100-130' range the temps are just about always in the low 40s to upper 30s.

Sounds similar to the temps around here. At least I am equipped for the diving there so I am happy about that. On the warmest days here I use a 7mm/5mm suit and from now until july it's drysuit season!!!

thanks for the info. great stuff!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom