Moving to New Jersey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . . . . , what are some of the main things (ie hazards) that one should be mindful of when diving the NJ coast?
I once saw an instructor who had 4 students on the Algol, leave them and come screaming up the line, leaving his students alone. On his way up, I didn't back off the line quick enough and he screamed by me finning off my mask (not completely, but it was now vertical on my face). I'll take some monofilament anytime.

"Low visibility which at times make it hard to find your way back to the anchor line, many of us just use a reel to find our way back. Many of the wrecks are scattered, making them difficult to navigate. Sea sickness is a common problem. Oh the cold water is no fun either. Tell me why we dive up here again, thats right we are Jersey divers and we don't give a damn what we dive in.BTW a redundant are supply is a must for Jersey so if you don't dive doubles or have a pony bottle you will need to look into upgrading your gear or renting what you need."

Ok not so bad, low vis and cold dark water is something I'm quite used to. I've doubles and an 80 stage as well so I'm good there.

"Deer. I nailed one on Four Mile Road on the way to the boat one morning about three years ago. Little bastards ! I thought I was a dead man."

Hehe I've actually seen more deer swimming the st.lawrence than on the highways but good point.:D

"Seriously though: Rough weather, cancellations, poor viz (get a wreck reel and learn how to use it), entanglement hazards like monofilament (wear at least two cutting tools), seasickness, etc..."

I generally only carry one knife and it's on the belt towards the front so I can get at it with either hand. I've also never had to deal with any hardcore mono-filament issues though.. What sort of cutting tool do you prefer for that sort of thing, EMT shears?? What have you found the most useful place to stow it, pocket??

"And if you dive out of Barnegat Light the entire 20 minute trip up the island is one big speed trap, so slow down."

Ok so the big question.. Usually around here the limit is 100kph however pretty much anything under 122-125kph is ignored (in 15 years of driving I've gone through many a trap at 118-122kph and I've never been pulled over). What sort of grace limit do the po-po give out if any? Yes it's subjective so no worries about a truly accurate answer :wink:
Thanks all!

"Low visibility which at times make it hard to find your way back to the anchor line, many of us just use a reel to find our way back. Many of the wrecks are scattered, making them difficult to navigate. Sea sickness is a common problem. Oh the cold water is no fun either. Tell me why we dive up here again, thats right we are Jersey divers and we don't give a damn what we dive in.BTW a redundant are supply is a must for Jersey so if you don't dive doubles or have a pony bottle you will need to look into upgrading your gear or renting what you need."

Ok not so bad, low vis and cold dark water is something I'm quite used to. I've doubles and an 80 stage as well so I'm good there.

"Deer. I nailed one on Four Mile Road on the way to the boat one morning about three years ago. Little bastards ! I thought I was a dead man."

Hehe I've actually seen more deer swimming the st.lawrence than on the highways but good point.:D

"Seriously though: Rough weather, cancellations, poor viz (get a wreck reel and learn how to use it), entanglement hazards like monofilament (wear at least two cutting tools), seasickness, etc..."

I generally only carry one knife and it's on the belt towards the front so I can get at it with either hand. I've also never had to deal with any hardcore mono-filament issues though.. What sort of cutting tool do you prefer for that sort of thing, EMT shears?? What have you found the most useful place to stow it, pocket??

"And if you dive out of Barnegat Light the entire 20 minute trip up the island is one big speed trap, so slow down."

Ok so the big question.. Usually around here the limit is 100kph however pretty much anything under 122-125kph is ignored (in 15 years of driving I've gone through many a trap at 118-122kph and I've never been pulled over). What sort of grace limit do the po-po give out if any? Yes it's subjective so no worries about a truly accurate answer :wink:
Thanks all!

The cops will generally give you 10mph over the limit, not sure on the metric conversion. I've been known to put sheers on my chest strap.

Welcome to SB and NJ. I live approximately 10 minutes from Secaucus in North Arlington. If you need any info feel free to drop me a line. Bluewater Divers is close to there and they run local trips all summer. Would like to talk uw photo with you.

Yep with conversion that works out to around the same thing. So any particular brands of shears that are preferred? I assume that the blades would be high grade SS for that type of thing but I suspect many brands would cheap out on the connecting bolt. Being it's use would be salt water any brands favoured by divers?

The cops will generally give you 10mph over the limit, not sure on the metric conversion. I've been known to put sheers on my chest strap.

Hey very cool, I may just be up for a dip next weekend. As for photo stuff, I'd be happy to talk your ear off about it. I'm actually in the process of getting my first rig sold to help get the D70 in the water :)

Welcome to SB and NJ. I live approximately 10 minutes from Secaucus in North Arlington. If you need any info feel free to drop me a line. Bluewater Divers is close to there and they run local trips all summer. Would like to talk uw photo with you.

Yep with conversion that works out to around the same thing. So any particular brands of shears that are preferred? I assume that the blades would be high grade SS for that type of thing but I suspect many brands would cheap out on the connecting bolt. Being it's use would be salt water any brands favoured by divers?

use the cheapest ones I can find and then when the finally rust up toss em and get new ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom