Moving to Oz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alain!!!! :wave-smil

:10:

..... there's a place in Perth that sells them for very reasonable prices and will ship them free to Sydney. ......

Dive Imports in WA, http://www.diveimports.com/

you have to email them for their best fabre steel prices as there is some sort of psssing competition going on if he posts them online

but

like i always suggest - talk to your local shop to throw in a fill card if you buy a tank from them is my advice. at the end of the day you might not save any money but it should buy you some good will

cheers

Far X, I too am an expat living in Sydney. You will love it here!!! Great people, loads of good shore dives and several dozen wrecks to use your deco and trimix training.

The main thing I want to add to this thread is to SELL YOUR AMERICAN TANKS BEFORE YOU MOVE!!!

All of the tank marking data is different in Australia and dive shops WILL NOT FILL TANKS WITH US MARKINGS. If you bring them over your tanks will become door stops. You won't even be able to sell them. Ebay them in the US.

Other than that, the diving is fabulous in OZ. Gear is extraordinarily expensive, though. With the exception of tanks, buy everthing you may concievably need before you move here.

And shoot me a PM when you arrive. I will be happy to show you around the dive sites.

Thanks for all the responses. Disappointing news about the tanks though. I'll probably sell the two doubles as singles and bring over the manifolds - have to see how that goes. It could be a sign from above that I should just go for a rebreather. :D

I have just had a very worrying thought - videocamera. I am almost sure it is PAL format. That set up costs more than the tanks. Why does the USA have to be so different for electronics? I am already resigned to the fact that I have to buy a new car which is disappointing now that I finally paid off my car over here and was enjoying not having a note. It is going to cost a fortune to get set up again. How are house prices? My s/o is possible looking at Macquarie Park for working and looking on Google Earth, that seems to be on the non diving side of Sydney!! Can she get the train? I read they are having a station being build and is opening next year.

Seriously, just concentrate on the diving related questions.

.....I am already resigned to the fact that I have to buy a new car .......
and dont forget the thing about driving on the other side of the road over here!

...... How are house prices? ....
:rofl3:

.....My s/o is possible looking at Macquarie Park for working and looking on Google Earth, that seems to be on the non diving side of Sydney!! Can she get the train? I read they are having a station being build and is opening next year........
sydney traffic sucks but on early weekends we can be from Seven Hills (further out than Mac Park) to Bare Island in about 35-40mins

I dont know if Mac Park is a good or bad suburb but what about more towards Epping because transport is better - dont know when the Mac Park trains are due to open but with our state government im sure it will be stuffed up. Mac Park is close to the M2 motorway and that helps as they have a good bus service

Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au is a good guide for housing

what about storing your tanks for when you return stateside???

I'm a Brit so can drive on any side of the road and can even drive left hand drive cars in England and right hand drive cars in Europe. :p Still not fully adjusted to cycling on the right hand side of the road (despite the century rides) yet so it will be nice to get back on the left. Do you have cycle lanes?

I am not sure if I am coming back to the States (my work visa runs out in 2010) so don't think I'll be leaving anything behind. Work will be paying for rented accommodation initially so don't have to worry about buying accommodation straight away. :wink:

I appreciate your answers.

:shocked: youre a brit!

well in that case - sorry, our doors are closed as we've had enough of your type here!

honestly, the handfuls of brits ive met that have come here on short term visas and now they wont go home!

I am sure I have some relatives over there. We were often told that's where all the black sheep of our family always ended up. Guess it was only time before I made my way there!! I can't see myself going back to England after seven years away.

and what is wrong with us brits???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom