Mselenaous and NetDoc do Curacao with Go West! A trip Blog...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I believe you alluded to, if you interact more with locals who don't deal with tourists a lot, you're more apt to get problems.
Actually, you're more apt to get smiles. I go out of my way to talk to the worker bees on the island. I like to learn about their issues and such. They are working on a small plumbing problem here at the apartments. The plumber doesn't exactly understand my English and I don't exactly understand his Papiamentu, but we communicate just fine. He's courteous, respectful and goes out of his way not to inconvenience us. I wish more American workers had his mind set. So far, the gaffs are caused by the locals not realizing how similar our languages are. The word for fort in Papiamentu is fort. Obviously, the guy I had asked had no idea that all he had to say was 'Rif Fort" rather than "stone building". He was trying to communicate and he accomplished that. Did it give me a smile? You bet. No harm in that.

On the Dutch Carrebean Islands, oh I sound like a colonial, everybody in the tourist industry speaks English and Dutch. In the endless wisdom of the politicians however, the primary languange taught is now Papiamentoe, a language only spoken by 300k people. However both Dutch and English are also official languages on the islands. So you might encounter more and more local people who only speak Papiamentoe outside of the tourist bussiness as they didn't learn any other language in school.

The word fort is from the Latin, in English, Dutch as well as French. A lot of words in Papiamentoe are Dutch, French and Spanish.

It's my turn to catch everyone up on our adventures.

On Tues night, Louis picked us up at 7pm for dinner. Joining us was Theo Knevel, the Carribbean Rep for Cressi who lives in Bonaire. Just a short drive away, we arrived at Ranch El Sobrino, a rustic open island style place which also has a small hotel, pool, and its own tiny dive op. Luis ordered local appetizers while we drank wine and conversed. The resturant has a broad menu and tasty selections were ordered: seafood pasta, shrimp fajitas, tenderloin. When the meal arrived conversation slowed. As we were late arrivals, they were out of desserts, but Louis convinced the waiter to come up eith something and to our delightful suprise he came back with oranges, pineapple, and cantaloupe drenched in a local liquer that reminded me of eggnog and some spiced rum. We closed down the joint when we realized we had an early morning dive trip.

Waking to postcard perfect scenery and weather, we arrived at Go West, where the staff was ready and on their game. Our gear was sherpaed to the boat while paperwork was handled. it was a pleasant surprise to be greeted by Bob Coleman for PADI Americas and Erica Wedepohl, the new PADI Regional Manager who were in town to the PADI Update and to find out they would be diving with us this morning.

attachment.php

Bob & Erica from PADI Americas

Our crew, Capt. Julius and DM Noortje, help us board. The Sealion has capacity for 30, though even at their busiest never takes more than 24, and today it was just 4. Noortje briefed us on safetly. We chose to dive her favorite dive site, Paradise...and that it is. Noorjte jumped in first to check current which was mild, then came aboard to brief us on the dive. We splashed following her with the flag. Such an amazing and diverse abundance of corals both hard and soft growing into mounds and peaks and an unusual mix of shapes and textures. The usual Carribean critters came to greet us including muliple species of triggers, butterfly fish, and eels. Noortje showed us tiny crabs down inside the tube sponges. Site depths 45-60 ft, viz 100+, temp 76-77 oF. About 30 mins in we turned back with current at our fins enjoying the leisurely pace of our hour long dive. We surface next to the mooring line and climbed aboard. Heading back to the dock, Erica mentioned all the cleaner stations and Pete talked about the the Pederson Shrimp. We arrived at the dock for our surface interval where the shop has coffe and tea for us.

We watched an Open Water course head off the dock to dive the house reef, Alica in Wonderland. Ive heard enough about this reef to know it is on my list of must dos this week.

After half hour, we boarded and headed to Watamula, the islands most northen dive site. Again Noortje jumped in to check current at both mooring balls before deciding the course of our dive. We would drift dive from the north ball to the south ball. What a magical place. Again so much coral structure and variety, yet distinctly different form Paradise. We were suprised by a huge cubera snapper. Though Watamula is one of the most requested dives, we agreed the lesser known Paradise site was our favorite. I took plenty of photos which I will edit and posted when I get back to my big monitor.

Upon return to the dock, gear got washed and stowed in their guest locker. We bid Bob and Erica farewell as they headed off to prepare for the 40+ anticipated attendees to the PADI Member forum.

Noortje took Pete on a tour of the two compressor systems. To say they have some serious capacity and redundancy is an understatement. Luis, the owner, believes in refundancy and not leaving anything to fate or Murphy. A few months ago, they hosted a group of 124 divers without incident...it was just another day at Go West. It is currently offseason so 2 of their boats are at dry dock, since the one is sufficient for now.

Pete and I headed back for a leisurely afternoon on our deck with a sandwich and an Amstel Bright to review photos, blog, and goof off reading our Kindles. Bryan dropped by to visit and check that all is well.

At 3pm, Louis picked us up for a sunset cruise aboard Pelican through Spanish Waters and along the coastline. The boat departed at 430 and soon the open bar was now open. :) Luis kept our wine glasses filled as we chatted and watched the hotels, beaches, rocky shores, harbors and expensive homes along our route including a tanker while Louis narrated with local history and flavor. As the evening went on, we found out Louis, a native of Curacao, moved to the site where AllWest Apts are in the early nineties. He enjoyed the view and contemplated how to share it with others and soon construction began. And then he contemplated what would the people do once they were here. Knowing there was great local diving, he soon opened the dive op that is now known as Go West. It started down stairs and a small amount of tanks and a compressor are still on the ground floor for guests to shore dive the local house reef. When the Kura Hulunda Lodge opened nearby, he moved most of the dive op adjacent to the hotel. Louis has permits to add more apt. units in the future.

But I digress. The sunset cruise pulled in just after dark, Louis drove through the main area of Willemsted. Yes the colorful buildings do match the postcards. Louis had made reservations at Rif Fort's Steak Restaurant. We were seated outdoors on the deck overlooking the harbor, truly stunning night views all around. The staff was excellent and kept the tiny cheese stuffed rolls rolling in and the drinks filled. The Capt from the Pelicanwhose name I don't dare butcher joined us for dinner. Louis knows everyone. Beautifully presented lamb, salmon, & tenderloin dishes were placed before us. Tender, tasty and filling. A flaming tres leches dessert topped the evening and we headed back to bed, way past our bedtimes and wine limits. :)

Happy Diving!
Elena

---------- Post added February 6th, 2014 at 02:55 PM ----------

Having dinner tonight at All West; we will look for you on the balcony. So glad to hear you are enjoying our little corner of the world.

Hey Sunshine, we will definitely be over for dinner at SOL this weekend.

Happy Diving!
Elena

Attachments

• IMG_5462.jpg
    IMG_5462.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 726
Last edited by a moderator:
Fun to follow your adventure!

Sunset Cruise Panoramic scenes:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• WillemstedBridge.jpg
    WillemstedBridge.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 415
  • WillemsteadSunset.jpg
    WillemsteadSunset.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 427
Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, Elena and I dove to 497 ft. That is not a typo. Unfortunately, I'll have to tell you all about it later. We have another dive boat to catch.

Seems like you are having a great time in Curacao. I will be traveling there with a group of physicians for a dive medicine course in July. We will be staying at the Kura Hulanda Lodge & Beach Club and diving with Go West. I was wondering if you have a sense of the travel times from that part of the island to the most popular and/or best dive site. For example, when I dive out of Provo Turks & Caicos, most dive trips are about 45- 60 minutes just to get to the site. I was hoping the dive sites would be much closer in Curacao. Thank you

Some of the best sites on the island are right around that area, which is the advantage of basing yourself there for diving (since you sure don't do it for convenience to much of anything else!) One of the best sites is actually the shore dive right there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom