Msg for Steven1, Durian, Dorsetboy + others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freesub, I sent my passport away with an agency each month for 9 months - that is nt to say you can never have any probs but just that it is poss. I have heard though of an instructor I worked with getting deported back to europe for doing this, if you are going to do this be aware that you are taking your chances. He was busted as the agency he sent his passport away with falsified the visa.

Officially you have to renew your visa or entry permit yourself. That means that if you hand it to a visa company to have them do it for you, you are acting illegaly. Normally no big deal, but now and then there are checks, last year they busted a lot of immigration officers and gave them jobs somewhere else, and all the holders of the passports that were involved were charged with staying in Thailand without valid permit, and had to pay overstay fines.

Working permits are quite difficult to get. The company you work for has to fill out a lot of paperwork, and it is quite expensive as well. Normally here instructors get a work permit once they are employed by a DC, after having worked some time as free lancer. For temporary jobs: no chance.

If I'm correct, on Koh Tao nearly all the instructors work without work permit, here in Phuket at the moment nearly all the instructors do have one, during the high season this chances, and most work without. Now and then there are checks from immigration though.

There is an (English) site from Thai immigration where all the rules are explained, soory, don't recall the address.

Yes, can be hard work. Phuket is not really the place to get temp work, or just for one high season. There are quite a few freelancers (on my books about 12) with their own work permits, which takes time and money to set up. You have to be sure you want to stay a while.

Visa info at www.thaivisa.com

Thailand is awesome. The diving on both coasts has its perks. I, however, would not suggest living in Phuket. There are so many other laidback and beautiful options, particularly for doing your DM. Phuket is large, crowded, extremely touristy and has too much of the girlie bar industray to appeal to a girl with my tastes.
I did my DMT on Koh Tao, which was a great experience. I also like diving off of Phi Phi but would recommend being based somewhere like Krabi or Phra Ao Nang, as Phi Phi is pretty much filled to capacity.
I'm sure that, whatever you decide, you will have a wonderful time. But if you like the world backapacking scene, steer clear of Phuket, Koh Samui and, of course, Pattaya.
Good luck.
Hapadiver

Yes, Phuket is large, so there are also plenty of nice and quiet places. Patong: crowded and extremely touristy, but here in Kata for example is ample backpacker accommodation.

hapadiver:
Phuket is large, crowded, extremely touristy and has too much of the girlie bar industray

OOh, that's a bit harsh.

Phuket is indeed large, which makes it very easy to get away from the few crowded beaches. I would say PATONG fits your description, but nowhere else. If you go to Laem Hin, Nai Yang, Kata, Ao Nui, Naiharn and many other beautiful spots in Phuket, then you see why so many people choose to stay here. It's not for the bars! In my not so humble opinion, Koh Tao is MORE touristy that Phuket. Yes, it's small and pretty and has lots of cheap places to stay and lots of backpackers, very groovy for hanging out, but there is NOTHING else. There is no real local Thai life there, only tourism. Phuket, on the other hand, was already a well populated island and very rich before tourism arrived. How many small fishing villages and local temples are there on Koh Tao?

And don't get me started about Phi Phi! I get claustrophobic there after 1 day.

If you can't guess, I love Phuket folks. You have access to the best diving in Thailand, a beautiful island, uncrowded beaches (try any of those I mentioned above) and good weather most of the time. It's home.

Would any of you recommend the DM/ Insturctor Intrernship program in Thailad? I found on online, it is in Phuket, and it coast US 6000 for six months intership program overthere. Is it worthy?

Sunrise:
Koh Tao is MORE touristy that Phuket. Yes, it's small and pretty and has lots of cheap places to stay and lots of backpackers, very groovy for hanging out, but there is NOTHING else. There is no real local Thai life there, only tourism. Phuket, on the other hand, was already a well populated island and very rich before tourism arrived. How many small fishing villages and local temples are there on Koh Tao?

main temple on koh tao is at the top of the crossroad just up from the Mae Hadd port aread, you cant miss it!! :wink:

ps. what else do you want to do apart from diving anyway?!!

well if you do want to do anything else on koh tao try the following :wink: ...

1). rock climbing
2). mountain biking
3). learn to cook thai cuisine
4). learn thai massage
5). check out the best gym Ive seen in thailand
6). hill walking
7). coasteering (that is coming in very shortly)
8). go snorkelling with black tip reef sharks
9). try the several dozen different restaraunts offring cuisine styles from around the world
10). Visit a health spa.
11). then go diving again

hey, I even forgot about chilling on one of a dozen different beaches, catching a movie, going to a bar, going clubbing...

I'll take Sunrise's point though on Phuket, it does get knocked a bit harshly, Phuket town though itself IS in my mind a large overcrowded city. The diving west coast though is excellent. As for bar girls, you will get that anywhere in thailand, it may just be in your face a bit more in phuket than on koh tao, but the industry is everywhere!

newtodive:
Would any of you recommend the DM/ Insturctor Intrernship program in Thailad? I found on online, it is in Phuket, and it coast US 6000 for six months intership program overthere. Is it worthy?

you can do your internship a LOT cheaper than this and get 6+ months , message me if you want details.

Greg Jenkins.

newtodive:

Holy cow, that sounds like a rip off. I mean, think about it. The "normal" price for a DM course is about 500 U$, for the IDC about 1,000 U$, add some books etc..And what does internship mean..it means you are paying to work.

PS, Sorry if I knocked Koh Tao, just trying to compare to Phuket, and I did say it's pretty! I'm sure it does have a temple. Just I don't like anyone to think that Phuket is just bars and crowded beaches.

Back
Top Bottom