Mt. Everest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey

I was wondering who here has ever dove the Doria. I would love to hear about your experience. As you can see from my avatar I am kind of obsessed with it and it is the reason I decided to get into to diving. I hope to gain the experience within the next ten years or so to attempt the dive myself. Although who knows maybe I won't have what it takes...we'll see. Did it live up to the hype, easier or harder of a dive than you expected? Lemme know, thanks.

Yeah, I hear it is in pretty bad shape...This is why we need more wrecks that have historical importance sunk as artificial reefs, like the Oriskany. Even those without a great story behind them need to be sunk not only for the conservation of marine life but for divers as well...All win by having it done.

Sadly I've also heard the Doria is pretty busted up. That is a wreck on my "to do" list as well. Hopefully within the next 5 years or so, and get to see it before it's just a pile of iron.

Jimmer:
Sadly I've also heard the Doria is pretty busted up. That is a wreck on my "to do" list as well. Hopefully within the next 5 years or so, and get to see it before it's just a pile of iron.

Let's hope it's still there in five years, Jimmer.

Yeah I am aware that it's on it's way to becoming a big pile of junk. But I still love the history of it so much that I think I will want to see it no matter what the condition of it is in, even if its not the prettiest thing to look at anymore.

Do you think more people have dove the Doria or climbed Everest?

thedarkness5000:
Hey

I was wondering who here has ever dove the Doria. I would love to hear about your experience. As you can see from my avatar I am kind of obsessed with it and it is the reason I decided to get into to diving. I hope to gain the experience within the next ten years or so to attempt the dive myself. Although who knows maybe I won't have what it takes...we'll see. Did it live up to the hype, easier or harder of a dive than you expected? Lemme know, thanks.

Havn't done it myself, but know several who have. Most have done it multiple times over several years.
This year's reports indicate severe deterioration.

Ohio doesn't seem like the right place to get the experience you will need.
I have between 600 and 700 dives most NE wreck dives over about 12 years and I am not sure I am ready for the Doria.
Of course I have been doing the training necessary and did get to do a short dive on the U 869. But that was done in a day trip. The Doria is about 10 hour boat ride from anywhere. The current can be a ***** (don't know how else to say it). The boats usually go out and stay for several days on the wreck.
The cost of the trip now is between $1800 and $2500. That doesn't include breathing gas which probably runs about $140 -$160 for one set of doubles. And you need several for such an expedition. Then there are the deco bottles......

I believe there are a lot of other wrecks to spend my time and money on.
True, no bragging rights on them but.....

Back
Top Bottom