Mt. Everest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the 7 years SB has been around there have been several members who posted about diving the Doria and even a few trips promoted here. From everything I've read and everyone I've talked to, the experience seems amazing. The wreck's condition has clearly changed that but still it would be quite an adventure. Hopefully a few of those members will chime in sooner or later.

I will never have the ....parts.... necessary to dive the Doria, but I love to read about it, and read about people who have done it. Good luck in your quest, I hope you not only make it out there, but make it back safely as well!

emcbride81:
I would love to dive it...just reading about the man it was named after is awesome! Of course the first few chapters of Shadow Divers helps!
I love the thought of diving the Doria.......
I am currently reading DEEP DESCENT by Kevin McMurray....a real eye opener to the reality of the dangers associated with such a dive...

It was on my list of 'dives to do before I die'.............but I have started to wonder if I should really. It scares me. And yes it makes no sense as a cave diver to say this while doing 'long' and 'deep' dives (- it is all relative-) in silty caves. It's an emotional thing. The Doria scares me.

Scubastud16:
I will never have the ....parts.... necessary to dive the Doria, but I love to read about it, and read about people who have done it. Good luck in your quest, I hope you not only make it out there, but make it back safely as well!

Considering the people I dive with, and where I dive, I have been lucky enought to have heard many of the stories that were in that book (DEEP DESCENT) long before they were published, as well as some stories that haven't been printed.

I can see why someone would want to dive it but it doesn't interest me. It seems cost prohibitive and the boat ride out and a two or three day stay sounds down right unpleasant.

If I did want to dive it, my approach would be simple. I have the training and cards...yada, yada, yada but no notheast wreck diving experience. If I wanted to dive the Doria, I would spend some time diving other notheast wreck on a regular basis in preperation.

With the Great Lakes and all those great wrecks so much closer and more easily reached, the bang for the buck just doesn't seem to be there. To be honest, a nice quiet cave where I can do things on my own schedule without the hassles of a charter and usually less effected by weather suits me better. LOL, I can't hardly plan a trip on the Great Lakes without getting blown out or almost blown away.

I've done the Doria. It was in the days prior to the spate of books. She hadn't collapsed at the time and was a lovely site to behold & penetrate. However, the numerous fatalities that summer colored overall enjoyment. The pursuit of china and the bravado of the NE tech community were contributing factors. What was interesting was the pre-dive tension (sullenness) up top before splashing in. I just thought it strange, but somewhat understandable as the divers were setting new personal records, or battling with preconceptions. For Doria veterans it was business as usual.

Diving the Doria is really a matter of personal preference. The sea / current conditions are somewhat unpredictable + it's a lot of $$$ to get there. I know for a lot of people it's "just to say they've been there". There are better wreck opportunities than the Doria now.

X

Along with deep descent, you should read Fatal Depth. I know a couple of people who have dived it and they have said its nothing short of absolute bliss. One of these people was actually a guy Lefkowitz, who is a lawyer and is mentioned in Fatal Depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom