Mt. Everest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bottom line is the NE is not the only place that has potentially challenging or highly dynamic conditions.

Very true. The Doria got its reputation as "Everest" back when diving on air was the only way, equipment was still pretty crude, and thus 250FSW in cold water was truly pushing the envelope - and then you would penetrate the wreck to get artifacts! With trimix and newer gear there are now far more challenging wrecks to dive that were just inaccessible before.

The Doria is still a challenging wreck dive, don't get me wrong. But it's not the wild frontier it used to be. And while I'm pretty experienced diving in NE, I'm sure there are a lot of "warm water" dives that would raise my eyebrows a bit :11:

How many Doria dives did you have again?

Not sure who you directed this at, but:
I have never done the Doria, but several of my friends have (and some of them are the old pre-trimix days).
I have done U-869 but I must admit it was a picture perfect day. No current, flat on top and bottom temp 42 and surface temp of over 75.

To tell the truth, I think I prefer the shallower dives (less than 180)where I can spend 40 to 60 min on the bottom without having to deco for the balance of the day.

Also at my age should be taking it easier, not that I will.

Very true. The Doria got its reputation as "Everest" back when diving on air was the only way, equipment was still pretty crude, and thus 250FSW in cold water was truly pushing the envelope - and then you would penetrate the wreck to get artifacts! With trimix and newer gear there are now far more challenging wrecks to dive that were just inaccessible before.

Exactly.

If you were asking me, I did a trip in 2001. Did 4 dives and I thought it was ok at best. Several of my buddies did a 5th night dive on the DORIA and said the visibility seemed better than during the day.
You can read the report I posted (old techdiver listserv) on the trip here:
AUE TRIP REPORTS
Interesting that some of the issues discussed in this thread are addressed in the report.
I personally believe its not worth going back at the prices being asked these days, especially when I can fly over to the UK and do a week of virgin deep wrecks for the same or less money (and that's with a the pathetic 2:1 currency conversion we have now).

Four dives in 2003. Never recommend it to anyone else. Cold, dark and not that much to see. I'm no longer in the NE and would never even contemplate doing the Doria again. I guess that I'm just not a wreck lover. Despite the "drysuit sycophantism" on SB, I prefer a shorty and warm water. Just getting too old I suppose.

And if you're asking me, 1 trip and 2 dives. Worth the trip/fee - once. I'll never pay that kind of money to dive it again. I can dive all summer for that money on virgin wrecks near me.

I think it boils down to what you see as your personal challenge or Mt. Everest. Diving the Doria is no small feat and it IS a pinnacle dive for many. But if you've been there and then ask "what next?" there are certainly more challenging dives you can set your sights on.

You All are crazy
I am a new diver I live on Long Island and my LDS is Long Island Scuba in fact going tomorrow for my nitrox class there look these guys at LIS dove the Doria with AIR no trimix not even nitrox If you have never dove here ill give you a hint for my check out dives (beach dive ) 20 feet in I am 25 feet down cant see my hand in front of my face and already the water is 60degrees and I am holding on the anchor line cause I am getting swept away I dove in FL no comparison I don’t care how deep you go conditions here are rough I personally don’t like to dive here just for that reason anyone who has never dove come up dive here than tell me its like any FL dive you have ever done LOL
My LDS has a ton of old Doria and u-boat stuff plates folks a ton of stuff very cool

You All are crazy
I am a new diver I live on Long Island and my LDS is Long Island Scuba in fact going tomorrow for my nitrox class there look these guys at LIS dove the Doria with AIR no trimix not even nitrox If you have never dove here ill give you a hint for my check out dives (beach dive ) 20 feet in I am 25 feet down cant see my hand in front of my face and already the water is 60degrees and I am holding on the anchor line cause I am getting swept away I dove in FL no comparison I don’t care how deep you go conditions here are rough I personally don’t like to dive here just for that reason anyone who has never dove come up dive here than tell me its like any FL dive you have ever done LOL
My LDS has a ton of old Doria and u-boat stuff plates folks a ton of stuff very cool

Taking you to a spot where the current blows and near zero viz. isn't an indicator of competency, or prevailing dive conditions in the NE. In fact, it points towards some level of decision making goofiness with regards to your LDS.

If a checkout student gets blown off the anchor and swept away your dive instructor will not be able to fetch them, lest he/she abandons all the students during an iffy checkout. Sometimes, an LDS will charter boats in snotty conditions just to make the extra $$$. Not unheard of. Not very nice of them.

Maybe, he/she has a divemaster. Somewhat helpful. One thing for sure is that diving the Doria took some cahones on air when mix wasn't available, but it now reads like "I did this back then" talk for wide-eyed newbies easily awed by storytime.

X

Taking you to a spot where the current blows and near zero viz. isn't an indicator of competency, or prevailing dive conditions in the NE. In fact, it points towards some level of decision making goofiness with regards to your LDS.

If a checkout student gets blown off the anchor and swept away your dive instructor will not be able to fetch them, lest he/she abandons all the students during an iffy checkout. Sometimes, an LDS will charter boats in snotty conditions just to make the extra $$$. Not unheard of. Not very nice of them.

Maybe, he/she has a divemaster. Somewhat helpful. One thing for sure is that diving the Doria took some cahones on air when mix wasn't available, but it now reads like "I did this back then" talk for wide-eyed newbies easily awed by storytime.

X

Wow, and he still dives in NJ? LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom