Mt. Storm Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emcbride81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to head up to Mt Storm within the next two weeks...anyone been there lately? Temps and viz?

Also, I got certified there but I havent dived there since 98, what kind of stuff is submergerd there and how to you get to it?

And lastly, any rules against soloing there that anyone knows about? I know that you need a surface flag.

I appreciate the help!

Was at Storm last weekend. Water temps mid to upper 80's....that weekend the air temps were in the 40's. Vis was 3-5' with drifting clouds of silt.
I noticed that the line off of the boom to the 87' platform was detached (it was buoyed up toward the surface but still attached to the boom end on the 47' platform). Considering the bad vis, I decided not to take it back down and try to reattach it.
There are lines off of the divers entrance that head toward all of the platforms and "scenery".

Was there today. Just got back. Temps in the upper 70's- air and water was 86-88. Vis was 10 ft or better and in some deeper spots up to 15 or so. The line going to the 90 was not detached. Some prick cut it! They have also been vandalizing the motorcycle(broke things and stole the plaque), busted the sink, the dutch kids by the main platform and broke the glass on the monitor. I went down to the 90 after some nice people retied the line and then followed the other line out to 124 yesterday. Unfortunately I did not find the bodies of the slobs who did this so I could desecrate them. There are no rules against solo to my knowledge. I do it all the time there. You do need a flag. State law mandates that you surface within 50 feet of it and boats are supposed to stay 100 feet away. That does not always happen. We usually tie off to one of the 25 footers and go from there. Just make sure to return and ascend in the same spot. Grant county sheriff's were there alot this weekend. Not checking divers at all but something is up. They've been making their presence known for the last couple weeks. Scuttlebutt is it's something with the wind farm going in. Some people don't like it. But it's nice having them drive thru. Makes it easier to dive alone knowing the vehicles are safe(r)?

JimLap,

Thanks for the info! We're hoping to get out there this weekend... was there any thermocline when you were there last weekend?
If the temp is 86-88 I won't need any exposure suit :D but if there's a drop then I might take a shorty...

Will be my first time diving Mt Storm-- anything you'd recommend looking at?

Also, side note-- has anyone camped at Abrams Creek? I was looking at staying there... website says its 10 mins from the lake.

Just check out the platforms and follow the lines. If you go out from the cycle at the same heading stay at 28-30 ft or so and you'll come to the wall of the dam. Go left and follow it out. Lots of big boulders, catfish hide in them, muskie has been spotted there as well. It's just a neat dive. If you dont mind going to 60 ft or so you can drop off the 50 and follow the wall out towards the middle of the lake until it peters out to the mud flat or go towards the dam again. For me towards the center is a more interesting dive. there is usually a little current and you can almost drift with it. Turn back around and follow the ridge line and it will bring you back to the platform at 50 ft. Then follow the lines back up. Either way enjoy the warm temps and hopefully the water will be clear. I'd suggest some other stuff but if your profile is accurate it's too deep and easy to get in trouble if you don't know the lake. Be glad to show you around some time when you get aow or deep training. Just shoot a PM.

Well daggone it Clear Blue, change your plans to go Sunday! :)

We did change our plans to include Sunday. Clear Blue and I that is, be sure to look us up, should be there most all day. We have the blue Subaru Outback. How will we spot you?

Today the conditions were really good. Viz 10'-12', h2o temp about 85F, not alot of people in the mornig but a few in the afternoon and a rescue class with about 6 or 8 folks.

Had a good day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom