Mt. Storm Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clear Blue and I will be at Mt. Storm all day tomorrow if anyone would like to join us for a dive. Sorry for the short notice.

WVDiver-- hope the conditions are as good as they were last weekend! I'll not be able to go, as the wife and I are headed to Six Flags on Sunday. Let us know how your diving was... hope you guys have a great time.

We had a super time today. I can't believe the fantastic weather we are having. Hope it holds out till spring then warms up. :D

We met yet another SB member today Jim Lap. Good to know you Jim, hope to see you at the Storm again soon.

We are tenatively planning a trip there again this coming Sunday 14 Oct.

We had a minor misshap today. Clear Blue and I were at the edge of the water and ready to do another dive when a friend of ours surfaced and said he needed CBs help (she's a nurse). Seems a young man in their group had a rather large catfish spine broken off in the back of his hand.

It was fairly deep and pretty difficult to get out. But with a little presistance and a pair of pliers it came out. The young man was very tough and all went well. Lives to see another dive day. :)

There were really alot of folks there today diving but not so many boaters as we are used to seeing.

I will post here as soon as I can when we have made definate plans for the 14th.

Again Jim, it was great meeting you.

Thanks dude! That was one of the students I was assisting with. Teaches the value of not waving your arms around too much during a catfish feeding frenzy! It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. Not sure if you were aware of it but there were also 2 MD's there today. Dr John the foot doctor and our own Doc Harry who I must give a personal and very public thanks to. Seems I had a little incident of a reverse block that was pretty severe. I think the sudafed wore off during my final dive of the day. When I came up the left side of my face was numb and I was in a fair amount of pain. I summoned the good doctor and he assesed me, gave me a few shots of nasal spray and directions for follow up care. He also advised me to get back in the water and go down to about 20 feet or so where the pain eased up and I got some feeling back in my face and try a super slow ascent which I did(took 18 minutes from 20 feet to come to the surface). This provided a great deal of relief. But what was extraordinary was that he also got his gear on, he was laying down relaxing when I went to him, and accompanied me on the dive. He was constantly at my side, checking if I was ok, and let me do what I needed to do to try to correct the info. Harry you have my undying thanks and friendship. Only thing is the symptoms cropped back up about the time I hit Deep Creek. I stopped got the afrin spray, took a couple good shots along with an ibuprofen and by the time I got home the pain was gone, just a little residual tingling that is diminishing as I write this. Gonna have my doc check me if it's not gone by tuesday. I did call DAN as a follow up and they concurred with Harry's assesment. They also told me it could take a few days to a week or more to clear up completely as the pressure on the nerve was intense enough to take it a bit to get back to normal. Last time I try to dive with a cold! Anyway otherwise it was a beautiful weekend. WOuld like to see more of them but it's getting iffy now. As a side note the lady at the mountaineer informed me that as of the 15th of october the plant will be shutting down partially for their annual maintenance( she said 3-4 months this time). This means less warm water out and with the temps dropping we may need dry suits by end of november ( at least me anyway below 70 or so I'm dry). So get in while you can it's gonna be getting chilly.

Hey Jim - great meeting you and your wife today! Sorry you had this reverse block going on. Didn't realize you were having problems. We hope to be there next Sunday and if the lake's cooling off, that will probably be it for us for a while. Have a good one.

It's cool now. I'm, on afternoon shift this week anyway so no diving until at least next sunday if then. I don't do saturdays after working from 3-1 all week. Need some recovery time. Nice to meet you also and thanks for the first aid for our student. Much appreciated!

Good to know there is frequent medical help onsite at Storm! I had a problem with a Sinus Squeeze the other weekend... On the 2nd dive, midway thru, we surfaced to check our bearings, and then I couldn't descend past 10' without pain in my teeth... Thought it was a tooth squeeze from an old filling, but after doing some research here on the board, I'm self-diagnosing a sinus squeeze, as they're much more common and I was getting over a cold that weekend. Hope to never experience that again! (the worst part was I had to return that tank with 1700 PSI... how embarrasing! I hate having to abort a dive)

emcbride had mentioned hearing that Dominion was going to be shutting down the turbines for a few weeks of maintainence later this fall :( Has anyone heard details of these plans? I'd like to dive it again before they turn the heat off!

According to the manager up at the Mountaineer the maintenance is starting October 15th and continuing for 3-4 months. That is what the workers who get rooms there are telling her. So expect temps to drop according to the ambient air temps. If it starts getting cold we could see water temps in the 70's by Nov 1st. I was down on New Years day this year and water temps were in the mid 40's. I'll do wet until water temps drop below 72 or so or air temps drop into the 60's or lower. Then it's drysuit for me.

:11: Oct 15th huh? That's Monday... crap! I was hoping the tropical water would hold out til Oct 28 (the next weekend I have free).

Anybody planning to dive it between now and then? If so, let us know the temps!

We are thinking of going on the 28th- I have one more trip on the Mutiny, thats next weekend, and Octoberfest this, so maybe on Firday or Saturday of that weekend. Storm is a big lake, it doesn't cool down that fast.
-J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom