Muck/macro/critter-diving for non-photographers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharksAreFriends

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a trip to Lembeh, and wanted to learn more about how non-photographers go about getting the most out of muck dives. How do you see the macro details of teeny creatures like nudibranchs and pygmy seahorses? Do you carry a magnifying glass? (If so, what specs are best?) Are there any other tools I should be aware of that will enable me to see the tiny details in the moment?

I adore macro photos, but don't foresee myself picking up underwater photography anytime soon. Instead, I focus my full attention on being one with the ocean, pretending to be a fish, and hanging out with whatever creatures are around me without a camera between us. I know this is really cheesy, but I mean it! I'm just so in love with diving I can't bear to put a camera between me and subjects just yet. (Perhaps after 1,000 dives...)

I have nearly 100 dives now but have never seen any divers with a magnifying glass. Is that a thing at all?

Thanks in advance! Help a macro newbie out please <3

Nice video here about good muck diving tips + techniques, but no mention of using a magnifying glass... am I out of my mind?

Tips from the video:
#1 Keep your nose close to the bottom so you can find tiny creatures
#2 Keep your fins away from the bottom to avoid mucking things up
#3 Hover without touching down
#4 Stay still
#5 No dangling gear
#6 No harassing of marine life
#7 Photographers should avoid using too much flash so as not to blind the macro creatures

Your mask gives you a certain amount of natural magnification. While I carry a camera I see lots of little stuff. I have not tried a magnifying glass but I know on land they have to be held pretty steady to not make you dizzy. Very hard to do in the water for an extended period. Just my opinion but I would just look and enjoy.

a "magnifying glass" will make things larger. this is unrelated to carrying a camera. or trim techniques...

do you find very small things? is making them larger a good thing?

I used to carry an elcheapo dollar store magnifying glass. it did provide a small (noticeable and useful) measure of magnification. but not awesome. a dollars worth.

then i bought a set of subsee +5 and +10 camera wet dipoters - with a hand (non camera) holder. BIG difference.

$5 for a set of 3 dollar store magnifying glasses, $250 for the subsee.

try the dollar store. be happy

If you do not know what to look for then you would have a hard time to enjoy muck diving. Most of critters are master in disguise eg. leave fish, or only in certain habitat eg. pygmy sea horse on certain local sea fan only. The list go on and on...
A knowledgeable dive guide will make a huge difference. However, I do know some of you out there has a distinct dislike of being guided!!

Some divers use "pointer" to supplement their poor buoyancy control. Some will just grab hold on anything. Some will just lie there and pay no notice to anything.
Whatever you do, keep your fins away from anything especially other divers around you.

Last edited:
I've been muck diving without a camera and enjoyed it, I'm not a massive muck diver so I haven't done a muck specific trip, but not everything is absolutely tiny. I had fun spotting an indian walkman which i was pretty happy about, plus a buddy showed me a ghost pipefish and many other cool things. I think photography is so popular muck diving because it's easier to do, you have time to set the strobes etc and a lot of beauty is in the detail.

you really feel like you're hunting something, going slow, analysing everything you see as it could move.

Uncle Pug used to carry a magnifying glass (and a camera) on our dives, because there's just so much really tiny stuff locally to see and enjoy. He kept his on a bolt snap, clipped off on a D-ring until he wanted to use it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In re magnifying glasses....

Make sure it's made of glass, not plastic. Plastic does not have the appropriate refractive index (that's the most tech babble I can recall) for use underwater.

The cheaper the better, I get the 10x models from American Science and Surplus for $2 each. They are too powerful for use above water, they seem to have large edge aberrations...but they magically disappear underwater.

Whoever you buy it from, make sure it's a "single element", with only one piece of glass.

And... Finally an appropriate use for a LASER POINTER. The single best way to share your find... And bring the flashlight on every dive.

In terms of photography that you might enjoy? A simple (last year's model) Canon (etc) point and shoot, with only an on-board flash, cheap-o macro "filters", easy to carry, won't break the bank, not a lot of technical skill, great results. Even if you don't hallucinate and buy National Geographic gear, you can begin creating a life list or personal memo of the little stuff you have found.

Click on the "micro" link in my sig line, all shot with a point and shoot. It can be done.

My wife and I are non-photographers who spent a glorious few days in Lembeh a few years ago. (For what it's worth, your sentiments about putting a camera between your eyes and the animals are the same as ours, and we have been diving for years.) If your vision is normal, you don't really need any aids to see pygmy seahorses, etc. We did not use magnifying glasses at the time, but nowadays I do carry one with me sometimes. I use this one that I got at Harbor Freight Tools for $1.99: http://www.harborfreight.com/rectangle-magnifying-glass-37708.html. Drill a hole through the handle for a ring, clip, lanyard, etc.

My vision is "normal," but technically, I'm one of those folks who can't achieve 20/20 vision even while wearing contact lenses/glasses. I love watching blennies, pederson cleaner shrimps, banded coral shrimps, etc. What I see is gorgeous, but I do feel that I'm missing the vibrant details captured by macro photography with my naked eyes. Looking forward to checking out all the magnifying tools you brilliant bunch have recommended! Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom