Mulling over BP/W options...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why did you buy only ONE cam band?

Marie, I thought the same thing...

All and all though, I may be following your lead closely...

I just picked up the DiveRite Transplate harness, it's similar to yours. I also like the Hollis weight pockets you selected, just kind of pricey. I don't want a weight belt, so I may be going for integrated weights pockets as well...

I originally had a BP/W with a Hollis something 2 harness. Ended up winning my Halcyon Infinity and I sold the other one. Like my Halcyon MUCH better.

Some good observations to follow up. Point by point...

1.) Halcyon - I wanted to buy locally and have the shop set it up. Halcyon's website under 'Dealers' doesn't list any for TN, and only one for KY, which is Horizon Divers in Lexington. That's a few hours drive each way. I wanted something closer.

2.) I hear good things about the Halcyon harness. If I were rigging it myself, I might've taken the chance and ordered online.

3.) I was interested in Dive Rite, but I don't think they make an AL backplate now (& I can't stand the bare metal look), and I don't think their wing has built-in soft stabilizers (but OMS has a maybe $20 or so version you can buy and attach to a wing that lacks them), the Dive Rite's 'armored' version wing appealed. I preferred build-in soft stabilizers so there'd be 2 less screws to maybe come loose, etc..., someday.

4.) A Cam Band may be the main thing I think I could buy online and install on it myself. I was ambivalent; some people dive 1 cam band (at least on jacket BCDs), some 2; I prefer 2 for the added theoretical security, but much of that's psychological.

Good question: should I order & install a 2nd cam band? Opinions?

5.) Cost. Yeah, you can find cheaper BP/W setups. For an 'apples to apples' comparison, DiveRightInScuba.com has a Hollis package option. 2XL backplate, they charge $10 to web it if you wish (I wish!), their wing options are 25 & 45 lbs (confusing since my wing is a Hollis 38 lbs; let's pick the 45 for the configurator), includes 2 tank bands rather than 1, it demands I select the back pad. $659, but no weight pockets, from pockets or crotch strap.

They have a Hollis crotch strap with scooter ring $21.95 (call $22), & a pair of Hollis trip pockets $24.95 (~ $25). But a Hollis stainless steel cam band is about $50. We could call that a wash. But the pair of 10 lbs weight pockets are ~ $160.

Remember that Dive Rite thigh pocket lists around $54 or so.

So, $659 + $210 or so? Ball park $860? Which includes a back pad I don't want. Let's add $10 for those 2 extra book screws I bought at the LDS: $870.

For the difference in price, I got personalized service including custom fitting, consultation with store staff weeks ago to help me consider various options & examine the Dive Rite thick pocket in person before deciding to buy one, and I can support a LDS whose existence might come in handy from time to time.

IIRC, recent changes in federal law may be ending the 'out of state Internet sales are free of sales tax for practical purposes' and online vendors may have to collect state tax soon? Not sure how that'll all shake out.

I could've bought an OMS setup; wing would've been a lower denier fabric than the Hollis. Might not mean much, but I'm hoping the Hollis is tougher. Could've bought different manufacturer parts to save money, but per a page at DiveGearExpress.com:

"One configuration consideration is that plates and wings are not always perfectly interchangable among brands. Manufacturers tend to make subtle design decisions such as the placement of grommet holes and slots on the wing based on aligning similar slots and holes of their own brand of backplate. The shape of the flat in the center of a specific brand wing may be designed to match the specific shape of their plate so that the bladder is not pinched by the plate when the two are assembled together on doubles."

"For single tanks, you can usually avoid using a single tank adapter (STA) if the wing and plate are the same brand. By the same token when the brands are mismatched, or the wing manufacturer does not also offer a branded plate, a STA is pretty much a necessity."

I wanted to hedge my bets in favor of smooth interoperability, especially since I hope to avoiding needing a STA. And a consistent 'brand name' has some low grade aesthetic appeal over a 'Franken-rig.' Though I chose a Dive Rite pocket.

Richard.

Yes, get the 2nd cam band! I can't believe you purposely only got 1! :eek:

I'm so used to always having dived a rig with 2 cam bands that, frankly, the BCDs with only 1 cam band always look like the tank is going to fall out to me! :rofl3: Or at least that something is missing!

About webbing on BP. If I can figure it out, anyone can! Accidentally cut my webbing too short, and so I just rewebbed it a few weeks ago. Easy peasy. The Hs on the webbing help get everything even!

My tank band saga went like this. I'm a chunk at near 265 lbs. I used to be a chunk at 355 lbs. When I got into diving, I bought one of (if not the) only 3XL BCDs I could find online at the time; an Amer-Sea brand. It has one tank band. IIRC, the cam band didn't have the rubber piece the band threads through (don't recall if I lost it or what; a photo of one online shows the piece present), which is probably why getting it tightened down enough to secure the tank was a nightmare.

Got annoyed with it, so when I replaced it (with a Sherwood Avid 2XL), I demanded 2 cam bands. But over the years I've noticed a lot of people dive with 1 cam band, and seem peachy keen that way.

So I wondered...is it $50 wasted, does it make the tank more stable, what?

Looks like a pretty easy addition to make...

Richard.

You've just neutered your BP/W by having only one cam band! Oh, the horrors! Oh, the humanity!o_O:poke::shakehead::rofl3:

More stable, plus why look really weird when you don't have to? :p

I'm a chunk at near 265 lbs. I used to be a chunk at 355 lbs.

Richard.

Congratulations - almost 100lbs - quite an achievement. If you were able to do this, nothing related to SCUBA should be as great a challenge.

On another note - your dive trip and equipment purchase analysis is quite impressive. I got a few purchases and travel options coming up - do you consult?

I don’t know where you fitness goal post is set, good luck wherever it takes you.

Oh well. So you looked at a setup that has added value for its standardness, considered all mixing options, and then went single vendor. I do not recall how you came to that decision...
I understand favoring the LDS.

Personally, I see that my knighthawk is wearing out and I am considering BP&W replacement too.

Right now, I am wondering whether the Tecline travel plate can accomodate attached weights such as these:
Weight pockets for backplate

and mostly, if those pocket attachments interfere with the webbing.

Xmas is coming...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom