Multiple Surgeries - Can I dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaVideo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So the history is multiple surgeries over several years for two areas of my health. In 2008 I had back and neck surgery. In the lower back I received a Ti disk replacement at L5/S1. A week later I received a Ti disk between C5/6 and a fusion at C6/7. I am well healed from these with moderate pain. My Dr's gave me the OK for diving 6 months after the surgery.

Just after my surgeries I was diagnosed with Melanoma on my Occipital area. A Wide Area Incision of 4cm by about 5mm was performed in early 2009. This last week I had Skin Flap Surgery on the area of the Wide Area Incision. Two flaps of skin in a large "S" incision were made and stretched over the area and staples used.

I have not discussed diving with my Dr's yet, and of course know I should probably plan a long healing process. The question is how long? Can skin flap surgery where skin is stretched over a divot of 4cm x 5mm effect me as far as DCS? Can bubbles get trapped in the space?

I hope I didn't ramble too much, the Oxycodone has a tendency to cause that.:confused:

The theory of increased DCS risk in an area of scar tissue is exactly that. Assuming you make a full recovery from your procedure, with no surgical complications, and are not on chemotherapy or anything else that would impact your fitness, I would expect you to be able to return to diving.

The theory of increased DCS risk in an area of scar tissue is exactly that. Assuming you make a full recovery from your procedure, with no surgical complications, and are not on chemotherapy or anything else that would impact your fitness, I would expect you to be able to return to diving.

Agree with TSandM.

Would add that "... anything else that would impact your fitness" could include the use of oxycodone or other opioid/narcotic analgesic medication.

Regards,

DocVikingo

For what it's worth. I've had 5 surgeries the last 10 years. I'm full of screws and plates and staples. The doctor that did some of these and knows of all of them is a former Navy doctor that treated Navy SEALs during the 1980's. He's no stranger to diving and still dives himself. (Try finding a doctor like that!) He and I talk about diving and not once in 10 years has he said word one to me about any known problems associated with at least the kind of surgeries I had. I've done a lot of diving since the last op some of it the deeper end of rec, but mostly 30-50fsw range. No problems.

I'm not that experienced a diver yet, but I've been a nurse since 1976, and as long as your incisions are healed, you should be fine from that standpoint. However, the use of narcotics is more of a concern to me. If you have been on long term use, you have developed a tolerance, but I would still recommend not using any analgesics stronger than asprin or ibuprofen on the day you dive.

Hope that helps!
Kimber

Thanks all, that's a lot of good news. The pain meds have been in use for 1 week now - since they woke me up from surgery and started with MS drip. I'm down to 2 per day now from a high of 2 every 4 hours. I should be completely off within a couple days and diving is still months away before this is healed.

thanks again.

No medical expertise on my part, but if scar tissue created a truly significant risk I would be in serious trouble. :shakehead:

Every time I am asked to list surgeries I keep saying: "....oh, and...", until the intake nurse simply gives up and writes down something akin to "mutiple surgeries". :idk:

No medical expertise on my part, but if scar tissue created a truly significant risk I would be in serious trouble. :shakehead:

Every time I am asked to list surgeries I keep saying: "....oh, and...", until the intake nurse simply gives up and writes down something akin to "mutiple surgeries". :idk:

That's hilarious :rofl3: ouch, your making my wounds hurt.

ScubaVideo,
I'd second TSandM and DocV's advice, and add a recommendation to be careful with the spinal fusions, especially in the cervical spine. The fusion limits your range of motion, which can put additional strain on the other cervical joints and may cause neurological symptoms which mimic spinal cord DCS, especially in a diving setting where you may be moving your neck in unusual ways. There's also a theoretically increased risk of spinal cord DCS in that area, for that reason. We treated a diver just last week who was in this situation. Though he improved with deep (60') treatment, it still wasn't 100% clear whether he had DCS or inflammation related to his cervical fusion.
Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom